Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-11-2005 , 08:34 PM

Animating cardflip

I want to make a sequence with a number of playingcards (20) where they flip over just like they do in this movie LINK
I tried to make all card a active rigid body exept the first card that a set to passive rigid and just animated a rotation to set the others in motion. and under them a polygon plane as a table set to passive RB. first time I simulated almost all the cards flew away (was kind of cool, but not what I wanted) then I set some gravity to them and it got better but not really what I wanted. so is there anyone that knows of a good way to do this on. and another problem with this was that seemed to be a very heavy process to do because my computer almost freeze when I tried to simulate (and I have a p4 3.6 xeon, 2gb ram with a 3d-labs realizm 800)

# 2 04-11-2005 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
First off, the link doesnt work, not for me at least. Second, as far as the freezing up aspect goes, thats pretty hard to imagine. Although If you have 20+ rigid bodies colliding, thats a lot of physics to compute in real time, so it is possible. Once you get the animation down, you should just bake the dynamics into keyframes.

# 3 05-11-2005 , 11:19 AM
Right click on the link and save sarget as.

I read somewhere that the best way is to first make proxys with the dynamics and then bake them. then I can set the actual cards as childs of the proxy´s

# 4 16-11-2005 , 07:24 PM
Have you tried to run a playblast to see if its working correctly?

# 5 19-11-2005 , 11:02 AM
I got it working. thanks for your answers.