Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-11-2005 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber

Texturing question

I've just finished laying out the UV's ready to texture a high poly character which will be normal mapped to a low poly character used for gaming purposes. My question is, is there a problem with me texturing in 2 or 3 stages. Example, if I transfer the head alone into photoshop texture it, bring it into maya, then export the clothes separately then repeat. The reason why I ask this is there is a lot of detail I want to incorporate into the model and if i transfer all of the UVs in one go I feel that it will be harder to texture as the uvs will blur when I zoom in! Please advise me.

Thanks

Mike

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 15-11-2005 , 11:08 PM
I know alot of movie characters are done with multiple UV sets so I don't think it should be a problem you may need to make sure that you know how to assign different textures to different sets though.

But yeah I know that alot of people do do this so as to keep texture sizes small and also as in your case be able to control the texturing process better.

Adam

# 3 15-11-2005 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber

Texturing

I had the same problem and I needed to dig around to find the solution.

Select the faces you require for the head, body parts etc and create new UV sets for each of them. You can use any projection method you feel comfortable with but I find the cylindrical projection followed by laying out the UV's works best for characters.

Create a new shader and link the file created in photoshop to the shader via the colour output node (default).

To apply the textures select the UV map required via the UV editor, select the faces from the UV editor and from Hypershade select the shader and assign to Object. Open the UV editor and select the UV faces of the objects UV map. Now go to the setting references option ( window menu) and select UV-Centric and link the UV for the object to the file under the shader.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

__________________________________________________ __
The light that burns twice as fast last half as long

# 4 16-11-2005 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
Cheers, I'll give that a go!

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.