Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 301 12-12-2010 , 09:53 AM
How do i post a jpeg here.

# 302 12-12-2010 , 12:03 PM
Lifetime Member
nice one stwert...not bad for a madman.

mahesh

when you reply go to manage attachment tab mate...then you can upload up to 5 images in one go...much better than the old system. The size limit is next to each type of image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 303 12-12-2010 , 12:53 PM
Thanks bullet.

This digiportrait i had made almost 8-9 months back. It took me almost 15 days to complete. Also made a colored version but i find it better in b&w.

I also have some paintings made with pencil and paper to share but unfortunately dont have a scanner with me

Regards,

Mahesh

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by maheshsubbiah; 12-12-2010 at 01:19 PM.
# 304 12-12-2010 , 01:20 PM
Lifetime Member
not bad mate....I prefer B&W for a lot of things...I think colour is beautiful but B&W has a real sincere quality that leaves something to the veiwers imagination....with good lighting a B&W looks just perfect.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 305 12-12-2010 , 05:10 PM
19 year Veteran
Fantastic work Stwert and mahesh. Mahesh, I have either seen that pic at GFXartists.com or over at CGtalk.

# 306 12-12-2010 , 05:41 PM
Thanks bullet

@THX1138

Thanks.
The photograph which i used as reference is counted among the top best pictures in the world. Am sure many people must have made it.

Click on the link below if u want more info on this pic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Strange that i did not notice this thread before. I saw all pictures posted by you and they are wonderful specially the julia roberts one. Is it done on PS or painted on paper?

Mahesh

Last edited by maheshsubbiah; 12-12-2010 at 06:09 PM.
# 307 12-12-2010 , 06:37 PM
19 year Veteran
It was sketched on paper first and then edited and colored in photoshop.

# 308 12-12-2010 , 10:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nicely done mahesh. Interesting that both your painting and mine were based on photographs by the same guy. Obviously very talented and accomplished user added image

# 309 13-12-2010 , 02:34 AM
Administrator
For some reason I've never openened this thread and I was just stunned when I opened it on this page now.
Mahesh, I think that is truly great work. Like so many people I love that photograph, it is probably one of the best photos ever taken and your drawing captured what is in it so well. I looked at it for a long time now. I can see why it would have taken you 15 days and how it would work better in black and white. Color is a science on it's own, a lot of renders are destroyed by bad color composition and it would be difficult to convey the same thing as well as you just did there if it was in color I think.

If you post this up in a separate thread in finished work with a few lines about what it is and what inspired it I'll add it to the gallery with pleasure.

Gonna have to go dig through the other 20 pages of this thread now, after I look at your drawing for just another minute. Awesomeuser added image

Nilla

# 310 13-12-2010 , 05:24 PM
@stwert.
Thanks stwert. Checked your painting. Its beautiful.
Thanks for the info there. Got to saw another masterpiece of this photographer

@Nilla,
Thanks for appreciating.
Started working on this picture during my photoshop classes. I had always liked this picture by Steve McCurry.

I made every face part in layers like nose brows, lips etc. I spent 2 days time just for the eyes as they are the main attraction of this pic. (If you want i can post the collage of the layers)

This painting also got selected for a digi portrait exhibition here in Bombay. Though i did not win any prize for it but it definitely helped boost my confidence.

I am attaching a pic from that exhibition

Regards,
Mahesh

Attached Thumbnails
# 311 14-12-2010 , 12:34 AM
Administrator
Guys, I had a look through this whole thread and there's so much nice work in it and a very interesting read so thanks for sharing. I've started to draw a lot of parallels lately because I was always interested in art long before I knew what Maya and Photoshop was and things like this is bringing the two together.

I went back to look at the photo galleries of Steve McCurry, I used to try and replicate things like you did here Mahesh a few years back in pencil drawings and seeing this brought a lot of memories back. Me and Dave just had a discussion because I love the portrait gallery while Dave really doesn't like it and it's basically for the same reason. I think the comment for this gallery on how he's trying to catch a glimpse of the soul is what makes it so interesting to look at whereas Dave doesn't think there's anyhing to it because the essence of the soul can't be captured in the microsecond of a photograph. Or as he put it so nicely: "He could have that look because he's in a poor country or because he's in the middle of a fart" very dave likeuser added image he doesn't like portrait photography in any form, so it just comes to show how subjective art is.

But Mahesh, please post it in a separate thread in finished work so I can move it to the gallery, I don't want to rip out posts and take your image and upload it myself from this thread because I'm an admin on the site. You can use the same file and also the last post you just added here, it would make me very happy. I think it would get more exposure and I also think a lot of people would be able to draw some inspiration from that work just like I did when I saw it now. So it belongs in a gallery.

Thanks,
Nilla

# 312 18-12-2010 , 09:53 PM

# 313 19-12-2010 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber
Well,
My wife, Amy likes to draw, and i finally convinced her to let me post some of her work in here.
Would love critics on it form you guys, She thinks she draws for shit and has no talent, no matter what i say to her..hopefully hearing something good from people other then myself and getting guidance form people who know 2d better then i might encourage her to do more.
i would put more, but i don't want to load the thread down in one go, i'll add more later if any one wants to see them

Thanks for Looking
G-man

Attached Thumbnails
# 314 19-12-2010 , 08:00 AM
Lifetime Member
I like the flower one G-man...something about it thats simple but got body.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 315 19-12-2010 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
im with bullet for this. the flower one and the bear lake looks awesome!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D