Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-08-2006 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Laptop Query

Hi,
I have never really been into laptops and I am more of a desktop guy. However I require a laptop for uni as advised by my tutor to be. (I am aware this is simplymaya and not simplymax, max site just seems dead comapred to here)

I will be doing a course which requires 3D Studio Max and was wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction for a laptop that is suitable for a student that isnt over the top high in specs.

probably look at:
1gb or 2gb memory
1.8ghz (dual core if possible)

Fair enough those sort of things are the same specs as you would get in any desktop PC. Its the graphics cards I am stuck on. Trying to find a card that is powerfull enough for multipurpose application. such as graphic work within 3D Studio Max and then also playing games and other general usage.

I have been on https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk and I know for fact that some of their high end spec laptops at about £1,500 will work fine. But I would like to know if there are any others that could do what I want that isnt so costly.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Chewy
# 2 17-08-2006 , 08:58 PM
How much money do you actually have to spend?

Have a look a in your budget range and narrow it down a bit.

# 3 17-08-2006 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
hah that depends...

I applied to local trusts and still havent had a reply... I asked roughly for £1600 for a top of the range lappy so they would give me as much as they could.

Unfortunatly I don't know when i will get a reply and not sure if they will ask me to purchase first and then they pay or what... I am about to go see my gran to see if she can lend me some money.

I would say roughly £1,000

Chewy
# 4 22-08-2006 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
dont get a 64 mb graphics card that has shared memory up to 128 mb. it works ok for games, but when you try to do a playblast in maya it alwasy locks up. but you can still do general stuff in 3d programs.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 5 23-08-2006 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply, decided to go for the rather high end expensive one, at least I wont have to upgrade it and it will last me for my time at uni:

the lappy:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_.../version-1.asp

Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor 2.0GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 PCI-E 512MB HyperMemory graphics (256MB dedicated)

will be fine user added image

Chewy