Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-12-2006 , 05:14 AM

custom polygons (tracing)

ive been playing around with this maya 7.0.1 now for hours and i seem to be missing a basic piece of knowledge....

how do i create a polygon by tracing my own shape? All i can find are polygon primitives.

you see I have a drawing of a sword i want to 'trace" AND I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW...

# 2 14-12-2006 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber
There's a few different ways to go about this; you could create a cube with several divisions in each axis, then roughly scale it to the rights size before going in and moving vertices.

You could also draw a cross-section of it using cv or ep curve tool, before creating a few copies along the length of the right scale, that you then loft a surface with.

You could also start out by drawing a polygon plane, orienting it and then extruding an edge.

Ways, ways. There's just so many ways.

Here's a link to a tute that's actually made for 3dsmax, but works okay with maya.

https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...arc/sword1.asp

There's a couple of differences here and there, but nothing too major.
It's Joan of Arc's sword btw.

Simon.

# 3 14-12-2006 , 05:33 AM
ok, i understood most of that...

my problem now is what im making is falling behind the scene I imported and am trying to trace.

man, Ive used autocad for years, this 3d stuff is hard to irent haha!

# 4 14-12-2006 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
Feeling generous today, here's the one I came up with after following that tute. I played with it on and off. I reckon it took me a couple a hours - I'm new to maya too.

Texture and uv map has been scaled down and jpeged to fit, (origs were 1024 square tgas)so its swum a little from where it should be, but it works. Same with the geometry - it's polys since it saves as a smaller file. Just convert back to subds, hit 3 for good smoothing and you're off.

You'll just have to point the file nodes to the new location of the images used.

The thing was made by extruding faces and edges btw.

Simon

Attached Files
File Type: rar sword.rar (249.5 KB, 172 views)
# 5 14-12-2006 , 09:07 AM
ok, i understood most of that...

my problem now is what im making is falling behind the scene I imported and am trying to trace.

man, Ive used autocad for years, this 3d stuff is hard to irent haha!