Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 136 11-02-2007 , 06:24 PM
ok, finally added the blend shapes - i have three at the moment - one each for the mouth, teeth and eyes. I only have the eye blend at 50% as he was starting to look a bit strange.

Also, finally got my hands on a wii this morning. :attn: They have been out of stock in NY for ages. I was up at 6:45 this morning to fight off the crowds!

Attached Thumbnails
# 137 11-02-2007 , 07:47 PM
19 year Veteran
Good start on the blendshape arran! I reccomend modifying the blendshape to better fit the the topology the face. Thats the one thing I have noticed on many CG heads. Following the face topology is very important in making a believeable face expression. I noticed that on the refference pic, the face has a few large skin folds that appear as he is smiling.

But anyway, great work so far! user added image

# 138 12-02-2007 , 05:14 PM
OH you are dooing the blend shape :headbang: sometime I am an idiot :headbang:

goksimaster
# 139 16-02-2007 , 04:02 AM
hehe, nice facial expression arran - he looks happy and fullfilled. Well done on getting him this far, he's developed well.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 140 16-02-2007 , 06:23 AM
cheers mate - I have done a bit more work on his smile and made a start on his skeleton, but to be honest I have mostly spent the last few days playing Zelda, Wario Wares, Elebits and Wii Sports! I must admit I was a bit sceptic of the wii controls, but I have to say I am totally sold on it now.

Updates soon.... maybe!

# 141 26-02-2007 , 05:43 AM
bit of an update. I had to rebuild the blend shapes, due to only building half of them first - doh! :shakehead I imagine I could stand to do a bit more work on the weights and I need to do something about his elbows. I need to look into influence objects, i think.

I have rigged his body and that caused a few headaches as well. I have also made the arms on his gown shorter as that was causing me some problems when I tried to skin it. Dealing with the gown is really showing me that I am out of my depth. Would I use joints to deal with the bottom half? and how do I get those joints to follow the movement of the leg? so little time and I just downloaded r-type.
:shakehead

Attached Thumbnails
# 142 26-02-2007 , 06:00 AM
Not bad for the beginning user added image
I also had alot of problems with the rigging of my character.
I'm not an expert in rigging so I can't help you. sry.
The breasts seem to be too far apart.

# 143 26-02-2007 , 05:12 PM
Hey Arran

Looks like a bit of a dilemma.

I'm not entirely sure how you would go about deforming the cloth with a rig?? Maybe pose him and then use a lattice to deform the cloth to match?

Or if you create a rig you might have to move it sepperatly from the body's rig (think this would get the best results to be honest).

The other option would be to use some sort of cloth simulation, maybe softbodies with a goal and springs to deform the clothing as the rig moves (if you make the softies collide with the body)?? If youve got 8.5 then using nCloth should be able to do this pretty well.

Hope its some help, sure youll get round it

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 144 26-02-2007 , 05:22 PM
cheers gster. I hadn't thought of of a lattice. I am wondering if it's possible to have it controlled through the main skeleton through set driven key.... I was also going to try creating a joint circle parented to the elbow to keep the sleeves in place around the arm.

I've rigged the trousers. going to start on the gown next. It's 3 here though, so I should really get some sleep.

Attached Thumbnails
# 145 26-02-2007 , 06:54 PM
Not too sure about attaching the lattice as when you edit points you do it in componant mode and i've not seen anything connected to single points if you catch my drift??

You might be able to create a small lattice on the area you want to deform and parent constrain this to a control object?

I went down the pose then create the cloathing just because problems like this.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 146 04-03-2007 , 09:49 PM
Hello user added image

finally finished rigging my hotei and attaching all of his bits. I ended up adding set driven keys so that everything would move with his limbs when I posed him. I think I am done.

I tried out three poses - I've decided to go with the last one.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 04-03-2007 at 09:51 PM.
# 147 04-03-2007 , 09:56 PM
Good luck to everyone else!
user added image user added image user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 148 04-03-2007 , 10:46 PM
19 year Veteran
Very nice work arran. Everything really came together well on this one. Best of luck! user added image

I'm still working on mine. Trying to get it finnished by the extended deadline.

# 149 05-03-2007 , 01:10 AM
Subscriber
really like that glossy on the stature. great job man. looking forward for it.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 150 05-03-2007 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
you did one amazing job wow

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.