Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-05-2008 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber

Rigging problem with low poly 3d Lego man

im just making a simple 3d lego man type guy to practice rigging and i understand how rigging and painting weights and binding skin works

but for some reason i have run into a little problem, if anyone give me some solutions to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated

user added image

problem
user added image

Thanks in advance

# 2 19-05-2008 , 09:38 AM
Please specify exactly what you were doing when the problem occured. Anything could have caused this. For all I know it could've been that caps lock messed ths up...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 3 19-05-2008 , 09:42 AM
Subscriber
well i follow the tutorial and and when i bend the guys should or elbow with the rotation tool

that happens, i can move his neck , head fine without any problems

but in the picture, as you see his arm bent, that occurs

have no idea why this happens as i have that section of his neck/shoulders painted black corresponding with the elbow as shown in picture 1

thanks again for any solutions

# 4 19-05-2008 , 01:42 PM
The verts that are moving are probably weighted to that joint, select the verts that move then go to the componant editor and set them to have 0 weighting on the joints.

Also when painting remember to never take away only ever add, otherwise things like this can happen (althought this may be form your inital bind)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 23-05-2008 , 09:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
When you bind a skin you have the option for maximum influences. the default I believe is 5, dropoff is 4 which are both fine to get going. Basically this means your verts will share 5 joints of influence with a 'smooth' of 4 which is about average.

the easiest way to do this without painting weights is to select the verts that are causing the probs, then open the component editor and find them under smooth skins. the verts in question will have values attached to them and will also be placed under the joints they are sharing. Merely set them to 0 under the joints you dont need them....

The same can be said for the rest of the skeleton. the component editor is useful for slight weight adjust too when you cant get specific verts to do as they are told.

cheers
Jay