Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-01-2003 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber

Problem with WMP 9 download for tuts

For some tutorials, you must have Windows Media Player version 9. The Fire Ring tutorial in the free section is one of them and has a link to the upgraded player should you not already have it. I spent around an hour or so downloading it, but when I tried to go through the setup, it stated that I don't have the right version of windows. I don't see how this can be seeing as how I downloaded the version for Windows ME. What's the deal? If I can't get this to work, there is no point in me buying points for more tutorials because more than likely, they will be filmed through WMP 9.

# 2 14-01-2003 , 10:49 PM
Kevin
did you update the divx codec as well?

# 3 14-01-2003 , 10:50 PM
Kevin
and if the ver 9 dont work grab the zoom player from the tutorial areas.. its 10 x better any way

# 4 14-01-2003 , 10:50 PM
Kevin
and ..what the hell you using ME for ? LOL jk mate user added image

# 5 15-01-2003 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
Ok. I just downloaded the new Divx codec and I still only get sound when I play the movie. I extracted the files, but if I'm supposed to place these files in a folder, I have no idea where they should go. They're currently in a new folder I created on my desktop. I'll probably just get the zoom player like you said.

Obviously, Maya cannot be used on Windows ME, which was the first computer I had, so I had to buy another one in order to run Maya. ME remains the computer used mainly for documents and the internet, while 2000 Pro Ed. is used for Maya, games, and DVD's. I've heard too many bad things about XP, so I don't have the slightest inclination to get it.

Zoom player, here I come.....

# 6 15-01-2003 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
Ok. I guess I'm just not good with this stuff. You have to instal the Divx as well. *slaps his forehead* Duh. Well, Zoom Player works fine. Now that I've installed the Divx though, I wonder if WMP will finally work.

# 7 15-01-2003 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
Darkware
do you have ME or win2k because ME is the home edition so dont get it confused with win 2000.

I have win 2K and win xp and WMP 9 works great on both.

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 15-01-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
No, the first computer is Windows ME. The second (the one with Maya) is Window 2000 Professional Edition. Anyway WMP works and Zoom Player works. Everything works! And I just watched the fire ring tutorial and it was great! I never knew you could emit particles in such a way. I also found a good use for the drag field finally. I am very pleased with what I see.

Thanks for all the help Kevin and great tutorial Izzy!

# 9 15-01-2003 , 01:38 AM
Kevin
great to see its sorted! I hate it when one of our members has probs with the tuts! but glad its done!!

# 10 16-01-2003 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber
I too unfortunately happen to have a prob with playing a tut (perhaps i should have started a new thread - sorry). I've downladed WMP9 and DivX (and installed both user added image ) and I downloaded the "Skeleton Basics - Part1" tut from the freebie section. It saved to my HDD as something like "vip_tutorial.pl"... I renamed it with "Skeleton Basics - Part1" (i kept the extention as ".pl" still) so I would actually remember what it was. Unfortunately it seems that neither WMP9 or the DivX Alpha player can open such a file.

Have I done something wrong, or is it just the wrong file altogether or is there a prob with the players i've got?

Thanks in advance

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 11 16-01-2003 , 06:41 AM
Rename the .pl to .zip user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 12 16-01-2003 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
Awesome! It worked like a charm! thanx

Strange - for some reason i knew that Kevin was English but I never expected him to have an English accent user added image . Great tutorial, Kev, it showed me some stuff I've never thought of!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 13 16-01-2003 , 07:37 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by -<{ JB }>-
Awesome! It worked like a charm! thanx

Strange - for some reason i knew that Kevin was English but I never expected him to have an English accent user added image . Great tutorial, Kev, it showed me some stuff I've never thought of!

LMAO - lol man that post cracked me up.... yeah its wierd that!

i am currently working on my new "german" accent.... maybe next vid LOL

but on a serious note,, That vid was basically to show how to add joints, manipulate them, join them etc..

I am doing an advanced one that deals with all the LRA (local rotation axes) and a killer rig! well maybe not killer user added image but one that will work just great!