Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-11-2009 , 10:42 AM

University

I am thinking about doing a university course in 3d. At the moment I am mainly considering places abroad and wonder if any of you could give your experiences with regards to good universities abroad.

I am mainly considering media design school in New Zealand as they have said I can go straight into the 2nd year. If any of you have any experiences of this university it would be great to know.

Many thanks,

Leon Labyk

# 2 07-11-2009 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
i know a few people in media design school, i considered going there 5 years ago, but because i didn't know anything and i didn't know anyone who had been there or was going to go there (that and they said i had to have tertiary qualification to begin with (what a load of crap that was though)) i didn't

but i'd assume it'd be like all the other techs and universities here and it's just a watered down version of other places around the world and you don't learn as much.

but then seeing other people say crap about the places they went to makes me think it's probably the same as the rest of the world

from what i've picked up the classrooms are small (like the amount of people), around 15 peopke in a class or so
and the computers are pretty low end, like 2gb of ram sort of thing

i walk past it almost every weekday but i've never seen it... it's "buried" without signs on the 7th and 8th floor of some building.

i think i'm going to go there soon to get stuff from someone so i might be able to see what the environment is actually like

is there anything specific you want to know that i might ask someone?
the new guy at work 4 years in 2d animation and then realised there were no jobs so did a year in 3d and will be done after that.
and i know some people in their first year

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 07-11-2009 , 10:51 AM
Thanks for your thoughs Chrione, I am mainly interested to know what the teaching is like as well as the general work enviroment. My main reason for going is to try and improve my work and learn enough to be able to get a industy job and to hopefully make some good contacts. I was considering VFS as you are taught by industry profesionals but cant see me raising the 30 grand for the tuition fees.
Yeah I used to do 2d stuff but was unable to get any work so decided to try and teach myself 3d. Been doing ok as a freelance artist for the past year but have only had 5 proper jobs and done about 3 months work. Done ok for the work I have done but is very difficult as I would like to have constant work. Like everyone I would prefer a job in the industry but need to be able to meet the requirements such a job would require.

If you could get an info with regards to how well qualified the teachers are and if they have or do work high up in the industry that would be great.

Cheers,

Leon

# 4 08-11-2009 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
i went to the nz cgi forums and did a bit of stalking...

there is a linked in page and a website for one of the tutors

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rogerferon

https://www.feronanimation.com/

from what i'm told the tutors know a lot and they push you to do good.
and also if you start there next feb that's when one of my friends starts their second year

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D