Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-03-2013 , 06:46 PM

changing a quad. good or bad?

Hey i was modeling a head in maya. And i came across this idea of mine
What i did was i had one quad, i cut the face into 4 triangles, deleted the tri's and added a new face in the hole (see image below). This way i got more geometry to work with. But I'm worried if this is a bad thing to do or not.

The mesh would look like it did before if i chose all 4 vertexes and merged them together.

user added image

Last edited by Skalman; 29-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
# 2 29-03-2013 , 06:57 PM
Shit. just noticed that by making this i created 4 n-gons. which is not a good thing. I'll just merge them together again.

Delete this thread if you want. problem is solved

# 3 30-03-2013 , 12:07 AM
Lifetime Member
if you want more geo but not n-gons just select the polygon face or several (ie 4 ) then extrude and scale it in.Be mindful not to click extrude and deselect the tool or do nothing as you will end up with faces on top of faces a common beginner mistake.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 10-05-2013 , 09:43 AM
haha i used to get double face meshes before, didnt know why. now i know user added image thanks user added image a habbit for me to press W/E/R after i've extruded something :3