Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-08-2014 , 09:24 PM

UV disappears after mesh>combine

Hello, I have this model that I finished and UV mapped. I did it all separately and now want to combine into one mesh. When I do combine it seams that the first object clicked loses its UV map and texture. Any ideas on what is going on?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-08-2014 , 10:47 PM
The thin red line
I think this is to do with UV sets, try renaming the UV sets to the same name before you combine..............dave

# 3 20-08-2014 , 08:46 PM
try deleting history, or duplicate the model, combine it (and expect the uv's to mess up on one model), then transfer uv's from the duplicated one to the combined.. thats all i can think of, also try what dave said

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 4 22-08-2014 , 12:07 AM
Thank you guys for the help, unfortunately those options didn't work. What I found out though is by looking into the UV sets, for some reason the objects that were losing their UV's they had a map1 and a map11 on them. The ones that kept their maps just had map1. I don't know why this was creating such an issue, but when I tried to rename them all the same, the one that just had map1, I named it to mach the others and then it completely lost the UV, I couldn't even undo and get it back. So I don't know what happened, I know now that I need to finalize my object, then combine it, and then UV map it.

# 5 22-08-2014 , 06:34 PM
The thin red line
Just try this, create two cube then auto map them and combine the meshes you should see both UVs when you select the mesh, the problem is caused when you name the UVs.................dave

# 6 21-12-2018 , 09:47 AM

solution

Hello, I have this model that I finished and UV mapped. I did it all separately and now want to combine into one mesh. When I do combine it seams that the first object clicked loses its UV map and texture. Any ideas on what is going on?

user added image
After making the UV mapping of one portion, delete history and goto

Edit->Duplicate Special option box
Geometry type : Copy
Group under : Parent
Scale: on required axis type -1

Turn on : Assign unique name to child nodes

Click Duplicate special

Now combine them & check : Its done!!!!

# 7 21-12-2018 , 05:35 PM
I was having the same problem. None of the above mentioned methods solved my problem. What did work though was exporting the uncombined pieces as .obj, then importing it again into maya and then combining it.
user added image

# 8 26-06-2019 , 02:44 AM

Uv set editor

I had the same issue before, here's the solution I figured out.

1. Go to UV > UV set Editor.
2. Rename "all the object's you want to combine" to the "same" name. (select the object one by one and Rename all to the same name.)
3. Combine all the object, should be good to go!

So the trick is sometimes( no idea why) Maya create a different Uv set, so when you combined it, it will show in different sets. So it's not disappear, just in different Sets.

Hope that works for you! user added image

user added image

# 9 28-06-2019 , 02:15 PM
Great guide, kazeal! What if I can't do the #3 point?

# 10 01-07-2019 , 04:36 PM
Hi, do you mean that you can't combine the objects?
If so, try to delete history (Edit > Delete by Type > History), or you can click on the option of combine, and try out different settings.
user added image
user added image

# 11 13-08-2019 , 11:16 PM

Here's what worked for me

Hi.
I had a similar problem, not sure if it's the exact same though, these issues vary too much.
Anyway, I had two objects with two different UV sets, and I simply wanted to combine the two meshes with the UVs intact.
When I did, one of the sets would always disappear, which one depending on smaller circumstances.

I tried exporting them to .obj and all methods alike, and nothing worked. It wasn't until I selected all the UV-verts of both objects simultaneously, going into the UV editor, and hitting Polygons-Merge UVs, and THEN combining the two objects that it actually worked - but it really did.
Hope this helps you, and in any case, other people in a situation like myself, in fact I registered here just to make this one attempt of contribution with my experience.
Live strong!

# 12 14-11-2019 , 08:42 PM
thanks a lot! this worked to me too!

# 13 14-11-2019 , 08:43 PM

I had the same issue before, here's the solution I figured out.

1. Go to UV > UV set Editor.
2. Rename "all the object's you want to combine" to the "same" name. (select the object one by one and Rename all to the same name.)
3. Combine all the object, should be good to go!

So the trick is sometimes( no idea why) Maya create a different Uv set, so when you combined it, it will show in different sets. So it's not disappear, just in different Sets.

Hope that works for you! user added image

Attachment 57746

thanks a lot! this worked to me too!

# 14 19-02-2020 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber
Use the UV set editor to go to the non default UV set. Select all polygons on that UV set, right click and go down the menu to UV Sets>'Copy UVs to UV Set' to send them to your default UV set. Do that for all your extra sets until everything is on your default set and then you can delete the extra ones in the UV set editor.