Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-07-2005 , 01:33 AM

Specs?

I have:
Athlon XP 3000+
1gb Ram
Geforce MX 440
120gb HDD

And I want an update! lol. The priority obviously is my graphics card as it displays high res textures extremely strangly in the viewport and the most recent games don't play on it. So what's more important when looking for a new card?
Pipes, Ram or the speed???

Any ideas on what I need? Or can people give me their computer specs and an idea of how well it works for them.

Oh yeah, btw. high res videos run slowly is that graphics power, Ram or CPU? This is something i'm keen to sort out as I make short films as a hobby.

# 2 22-07-2005 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
hi, i duno why ur videos are running slowly, maybe ur graphics card but i used to have that card and it worked fine with videos, maybe u need to format :p

i have

pentium4 3.2ghz
120gb
1gig ram
ati radeon 9800xt 256mb
realtek network card
soundblaster live 5.1
asus mobo p4p-800 delux

oh yehr and everything runs perfectly, i have battlefield 2 which recently came out, i run it on max everything including anti aliasing user added image

# 3 22-07-2005 , 08:33 PM
So you've got similar specs to me apart from the graphics and you say no problems? That's put my mind at rest that I should change that. Thanks.
I think it does need a format but not seriously. I'm guessing the reason that the videos run slowly is because a MX 440 can't handle HDRI videos at very high res. lol. I forgot that it was that which I was trying to watch.
Do you find ATI are good/better than Nvidia?

# 4 22-07-2005 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
erm, im not sure, the difference in speed between the geforce 4 440mx and the ati radeon 9800xt 256mb is so big that its tones better, im not sure wether a nvideo equivalent ati card is better or not, i think i might get an nvidea card next tho user added image i just swap. i deffo wudnt get a pentium processor again tho, they are wank, loads of over hearing problems, i use pentium 4 aproved fans and the fans, ive tried fans for 3.2ghz and even 3.8ghz... they all over heat.... damn things. i never had a problem with my athlons.

# 5 11-08-2005 , 03:15 PM
Hi there,

My config. is as follows:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 530
MEM: 1GB 2x256 dual ch.
VID: GeForce 6600 (Leadtek A6600TD 128MB AGP8x)

I wonder if it is ready for Maya. Please say if it is the case or not.
Thanks user added image

# 6 18-08-2005 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
AMD XP2800
Gigabyte 7NNXP PRO Nforce2 Mainboard
1Gb (Duel) DDR RAM
Gigabyte - ATI 9600Pro 128mb AGPx8
Seagate 120Gb SATA 8mb Cache
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex 6.1
Leadtek TV2000
Gigabyte DVD-R/RW
Aopen CD-R/RW
Genius Tablet Pen/Mouse
Microsoft Wireless/Optical Keyboard and Mouse

Xp Home - Edition Service Pack 2

It runs maya and games fine, could be better though...
want to upgrade and maybe get a separate machine for 3D Animation,
like a duel Core Opteron x2 Workstation and a FireGL GFX card...

What you recommend?....

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>

Last edited by Toxic Bunny; 18-08-2005 at 01:32 AM.
# 7 18-08-2005 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
hey guys some nice pcs there
heres mine

Packard Bell
intel 3.4Ghz HT (for some reason i have two processors one for each HD i think,, is there any way of linkin these to make a 6.4ghz ....lol)
1GB ram
2 x 180 GB hard drive
xp pro media centre edition
radeon x300 (400MHz) 256mb memory
a i think i have a Realtek High Definition soundcard but im not sure
but sitill if u do maya freelance or at a company u need power my friends comp at his place has 4 or 5 gigs of ram
if only........

cya all

# 8 22-08-2005 , 10:48 PM

Originally posted by matt4068
erm, im not sure, the difference in speed between the geforce 4 440mx and the ati radeon 9800xt 256mb is so big that its tones better, im not sure wether a nvideo equivalent ati card is better or not, i think i might get an nvidea card next tho user added image i just swap. i deffo wudnt get a pentium processor again tho, they are wank, loads of over hearing problems, i use pentium 4 aproved fans and the fans, ive tried fans for 3.2ghz and even 3.8ghz... they all over heat.... damn things. i never had a problem with my athlons.

Well I meant that they're similar except for the graphics card as I know that the GeForce 440 is not worthy of running a program as fantastic as Maya user added image.
It's good to hear about Pentiums being bad (not that I'm happy about your troubles) because I've always managed to steer clear of Intel. Stick with AMD, the pros use them and swear by them. user added image

# 9 22-08-2005 , 10:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I didn't write sooner.
The dual processors in the Media centre PC? I think that either a chipset for the motherboard that does processes for that or it's a media centre PC thing (I don't know a lot about them). Actually you could just have a kick ASS computer without knowing it! I'd look into it if I were you.
Just ordered a student copy of Maya 7! Wahoo! Can't wait until that arrives. Think I may give my computer a reformat to give it a clean OS to run on.

I'm soon going to give my computer a whole new update. These are the specs, if I can manage to afford it!

AMD 64 3500+ (around that anyway, depends on prices)
GeForce 6800 Ultra
Asus socket 939 motherboard
And a case mod for the hell of it, which i'm doing myself!

Can't wait for those specs! Ah the rendertimes, or lack of. user added image

# 10 27-08-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
my comp is a media centre. here a pic of wat i mean it comes from remote assisatnce and my computer information general. i cut out the less important stuff.

its not letting me upload the pic

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 27-08-2005 at 06:59 PM.
# 11 27-08-2005 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
how do you unsubscribe from a thread? this thread is realy boring now

# 12 29-08-2005 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
3.12ghz HT 512k cache. upgrading to 3.4 EE <socket 478>
1gb Ram upgrading to 2gb corsair xms
BFG 6800gt OC, then some
36GBx2 WD Raptor RAID 0 stripe 128
...sound card..
dvd drives..
dual 19"Samsung 8ms LCD monitors

the upgrade is this tuesday :attn:

oh.. anyone wanna buy a p4 3ghz chip or a 9800pro 128mb

lemme know

# 13 02-09-2005 , 09:22 PM

Re: Specs?

Originally posted by frequency
I have:
Athlon XP 3000+
1gb Ram
Geforce MX 440
120gb HDD

And I want an update! lol. The priority obviously is my graphics card as it displays high res textures extremely strangly in the viewport and the most recent games don't play on it. So what's more important when looking for a new card?
Pipes, Ram or the speed???

Any ideas on what I need? Or can people give me their computer specs and an idea of how well it works for them.

Oh yeah, btw. high res videos run slowly is that graphics power, Ram or CPU? This is something i'm keen to sort out as I make short films as a hobby.

First thing's first. the processor and Ram are ok... not OMGZ! great but good.

Your GeForce MX 440 is poop... recommend ditching it EVENTUALLY. (Buy any computer part before 2007 and you'll replace it in 2007 anyway)

As for slow video, my money's on the compression. Its much easier on the computer to play a COMPRESSED video oddly enough... being that it doesn't have to be bottlenecked by the harddrive read/write time as much. Processor cycles decompressing video is faster than downloading full-frame video from harddrive.

# 14 04-09-2005 , 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pbman
hey guys some nice pcs there
heres mine

Packard Bell
intel 3.4Ghz HT (for some reason i have two processors one for each HD i think,, is there any way of linkin these to make a 6.4ghz ....lol)
1GB ram
2 x 180 GB hard drive
xp pro media centre edition
radeon x300 (400MHz) 256mb memory
a i think i have a Realtek High Definition soundcard but im not sure
but sitill if u do maya freelance or at a company u need power my friends comp at his place has 4 or 5 gigs of ram
if only........

cya all

The HT in the P4 stands for Hyper Threading, so your PCU is running 2 threads simultaniasly, making it appear as though it is a dual processor system.

If you should go and get a Dual Core CPU, you will have a single processor, running 2 physical cpu's internally, of wich they are both hyper threaded and will apear as a quad cpu in your system.

And lastly, no. You cannot combine the speed of the cpu. It is designed in such a way, that it load balances the data it has to process. In other words, you can select an application to run on cpu0 (thread 1) while playing a game on cpu1 (thread 2), and your pc will still out perform a std P4 with no HT.

Hope that answeres your question.

# 15 06-09-2005 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
yes thnkx that has but how do u make it run diff programs on each on?? or is it automatic??

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973