Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-12-2006 , 07:43 PM

Render from DOS mode

Is it possible to use the command line and/or batch file to render from DOS mode? ie. Start the computer in DOS mode rather then running a DOS window from Windows?

Also, if it is possible, is it worth it? Will you actually see a difference in rendering times?

Thanks,
-B

# 2 03-12-2006 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
To render with what exactly?

As far as I'm aware, you can only do a batch render with maya from a DOS window. Since win98 or XP, I forget, DOS mode isn't even avail upon bootup. But no matter.

You'd have to look into it more closely, but I'd almost certain that maya uses threads. In which case, it won't work since DOS runs in non-protected or at most V20 mode to allow the xms and ems memory drivers to work. AND there's no system to allow the switching between tasks necesitated by an application running threads under dos. (needs protected mode)

This was one of the greatest things windows ever brought to pcs. At the expense of a 'few' wasted clock-cycles that are used for process switching and control. And all the other background crap that runs.

Simon