Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 02-07-2006 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
Just another quick update:

HDR rendered planes against enviroment backdrop, still working on the enviroment. Not too happy with the ocean shader yet, I don't think i've got the scale quite correct.

but this is a quick comp in photoshop:

user added image

C & C welcome!

J.

# 17 02-07-2006 , 04:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Jamie

Its getting there for sure. The ocean is probably to repetative right now and a little too bumpy (IMO)

Also in regards to the HDR, add a spotlight or directional as well to pick out some nice form on the edges of those aircraft, look at the upper edge of the clouds, theres a bit of sun coming just in.

Beware of the lighting when using hdr, people fall into the gimmick or easy trap of hdr, MR etc because its 'cool' and their images always look like a blue ambient dull day and the image is ruined.

Cheers
Jay

# 18 02-07-2006 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
I have to agree that the planes would definitely benefit from a highlight along the upper edge! I also concur about the appearance of the ocean, but I'm sure it will come out just fine in the end. I have to commend you on the way you did your environment textures and (again) just how convincing those 109's are!

I presume this will take place "over the Channel" (ie over the water).

Keep us posted!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 19 04-07-2006 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
Hey Jay and Jim,

Thanks for the kind words, and great crit. Yep Jim, this will be taking place over the chanel. I've tried to improve the image from what you've said although i'm still not happy with the enviroment from the below image...

Am I heading in the correct direction? To me, it still seems too much like the Truman show... the big dome world.

At the moment i'm compositing this in photoshop and faking the depth of field with simple blur, maybe in animated with motion blur and using real z depth of field it would improve the over all look. Just don't feel im getting the look I want... as close to photo real as I can get.

If you have any more suggestions I would love to hear, really would like to perfect the look before I add animation to the mix!

Thanks for all the help so far.

J.

user added image

Last edited by jhaydock; 04-07-2006 at 10:26 PM.
# 20 04-07-2006 , 09:04 PM
the sea is still a bit too repetitive but user added image great job user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 21 05-07-2006 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
Looking better all the time!

As a former pilot myself (ie having seen this sort of thing from that POV), I'm wondering if the sea shouldn't be a bit grayer or even a deeper shade of green-gray. Given the low angle of the sun (which appears to me to be in the lower right hand corner) and the prepondrance of clouds, the channel looks a bit too blue! I'd also turn down the highlights on the planes just a bit, but they DO make a BIG difference! A few more friendly crits follow:

I take it this is a "crack-o-dawn" raid, and the 109's are coming from the east. Again, the bright spot in the lower right hand corner appears to be the sun (if it isn't, do have a look and see what you can do to get rid of it! :-) ). That having been said, it would appear that the light source is off on the planes! Obviously, backlit airplanes aren't much fun, but it is something to consider!

Otherwise, it's looking REALLY...well, REAL! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 22 05-07-2006 , 01:47 PM
Nice work man! looks really good so far!

# 23 07-07-2006 , 04:02 PM
Hey jhaydock!
Starting to look good man, you'll get there!

A couple of tips... Lt Jim if was right, tone down the highlights just a little bit and you should add a bumpmap to the specular layer as well to break it up a bit. This will add some more randomness to the whole picture. I get a feeling with the DOF that its almost shot with a macro lens, less is more user added image
To give the picture a bit more depth set up a standard env.fog shader, this will also tone down the horizon line! Also, on top of all the layers try and add a bright bluish solid color set the transparancy to 10% or something and play around with different blend modes.

Part from that, just keep playing around with different settings and dont be scared to go crasy with stuff, thats when you learn and finally find a balance.

Keep it up!!
/Chris

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 24 07-07-2006 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for all the comments everyone!!

Really looking forward to acting on them and pushing Maya a little more!

For now though I'm going to have to stop, going away with the terries (Territorial Army). I'm part of the Royal regiment of Scotland army band (formally 51st Highland Division, Black Watch). We're on tour for 2 weeks (anual camp).

So all being well, I'll see you all 24th July!

Thanks again,

J.

# 25 08-07-2006 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
Cheers, shipmate! I'm a percussionist with the 199th Army Band, NY Army National Guard (our "Terries", if you will)! I'm a former Naval Officer (hence the nickname by which I'm known on the NYC Jazz scene and online), but I'm out to get my "20 years" in and band is the best way to do it! :-)

See you back here at the end of the month, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 26 27-07-2006 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber
Hey everyone, thats me back. Well I was back on Monday, but first post here after working more on the scene!

hey Jim, thats awesome!! Well I'm with the Highland band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland (Formally the 51st Highland Division - Black Watch before blair got his way). I play trumpet and Bagpipes... love playing swing and blues, Jazz too. Camp was a load of fun, gigs during the day and some with the blues band in the evenings, rest of the time was in the naffi or down the pub hehe.

so anyway, on the detox now and back in Maya!

Playblast shots 1-5 SIZE 2mb

This is a quick wmv of the animation for the entire sequence. It is around 30 seconds long. These are the final shots as I see them, but any tips on animation or even suggestions on camera angle changes welcome!!

Smoke in shot 4 is just stand in to give you an idea, as are the particles and ground in shot 5.

i'll be moving on to the effects for each shot next before finalising the enviroment.

Any crits welcomed... really trying to make this look good!

Cheers,

J.

Last edited by jhaydock; 27-07-2006 at 01:34 PM.
# 27 27-07-2006 , 01:43 PM
it's always a blast to watch this animation... it moves great and it's such an easy story to understand so anyone can enjoy it.

at the end when the plane actually hits ground will there be an explosion, or will it just land in the dirt? either way i think that shot should stay on camera a little longer (at least until most of the motion is finished and the plane slides into it's final resting place), unless you plan on showing it crash and then with a rack focus maybe you tilt the camera up and show the other plane do a flyby into the horizon? fade to black, awesome. user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 28 27-07-2006 , 01:44 PM
Welcome back! user added image

Looks cool, some nice camera shots there! Personally I'd skip cut2 or the pers view cut. I think that will give it more fluent motion. Then as the Me goes down (shot4), roll the camera a bit more to the left. Just some personal oppinions! user added image Great work though, I think it will look awsome!

Keep it up!
/Chris

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 29 27-07-2006 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
Damn that looks cool! I really love that "near miss" as the one plane zooms in from offscreen!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 30 01-08-2006 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
Hey NeoStrider, thanks very much! To be honest im not 100% sure what I will do in shot 5. My initial Idea was to have the plane crash land and for a wave of sand to blast the camera at which point the shot ends. I'm still open to suggestion on this one!

Cheers Chris! Yep I agree with shot 2. I've not cut it, but sped up the velocity of each plane and held the shot long enough for the spitfire to fly past but not the Me. Yeah, shot 4 I tried out the roll on the camera, well spin round and it looks better so thanks for those two user added image

Haha cheers Jim, hope I can live up to your expectations!

More updates soon! I've been working on the enviroment a little more and changed from using Maya Ocean to a poly plane with bump as I couldn't get enviroment reflections! I think it looks a little more realistic, i'll post again soon.

Cheers

Jamie.