Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-12-2006 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber

S.P.O.C. Space Station

Hey everyone, This is my space station Im doing for a project at school. Some of the earlier pics can be found on this thread

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24095

And heres some updates. Sorry I dont have much time to talk about it right now, but if you post question, I'll get back to you on it ASAP. Just a few of the what I've dones, I completely re did the rings making it a little more polygonal, but eh. And obviously, the textures. Ok, thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice or criticism tremendously. =)

user added image

user added image

# 2 09-12-2006 , 10:45 AM
i like it so far :attn: :attn:

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 09-12-2006 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Update, I had to delete the old tower because laying out those UVs were just way too out of my league. Basically, all else I did was finish up the inner ring texture some more and texture the tower. Now all I have left is the turret, which I will probably re-do as well and the turbine for propulsion, also, I made the transport tubes in the middle look like glass, but I was wondering, since I put that shader in, do you think it will greatly increase my render times? As always, I would very much appreciate any comments or citicism. Thanks in advance.

user added image
user added image

EDIT: Also, I'm now working on bump mapping for the windows and other gidget gadget things you might find on a space ship. =)

Last edited by alienscience; 09-12-2006 at 05:43 PM.
# 4 12-01-2007 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber
AH! Sorry guys, I know its been a while since I've left any updates, but since my last one, I've finished the project and got a lot of work done on it. I haven't done anything new to it since turning it in, but heres some pictures of the final renders anyways. I should have the video uploaded soon too =)

user added image

user added image

EDIT: Heres the link to the video. Yeah, I know its really bad quality. It loses all the detail with the flash compression, sorry. You cant really see the bumps or anything. But, its all good =).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUA2P1Gx4ME

like I said earlier, Ive already turned it in, but I still wouldnt mind any crit. Thanks in advance. =)

Last edited by alienscience; 12-01-2007 at 10:30 AM.
# 5 13-01-2007 , 12:48 AM
I watched the video I really like it. I must say that's a very great job and it's pretty original.
'cause I cant animate anything.
I only little crits I could say is that maybe you could increase the spotlight cone angle becasuse it appears a big spot in the video. BUt maybe it's intentional

I also have a big school project next year. I must succeed it to graduate so Im still wondering what Im gonna do... animation or concept 3d images.

Did you use Maya software to render the video file or something else ?

awesome work againuser added image