Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 08-06-2003 , 03:20 AM
I just came home and saw it and all i'll say is "my bubbles! bubbles! I LOVE BUBBLES! GET AWAY FROM MY BUBBLES!!!!!" hehe, I like the french guy, whatever he was, "ok, I will resist". Awsome Movie. On a CG note, I thought the humans were rendered pretty fantasticly. Go see it if you havent already. :bgreen:

# 32 09-06-2003 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
I just saw Nemo this weekend. I loved it! The fluid dynamics were very nicely done. I loved the bump map scar on Gill. As with most CG enthusiasts, I spent the majority of the film looking for flaws, and just enjoying the complexity of the art. I will watch it again to take in the whole movie as a story next time <g>.

As for the humans. I didn't particularly care for them. Their facial expressions were pretty funny towards the end (the part where all the people in the waiting room are starring into the office. But, overall, not as impressed with the humans as I was with the fish.

Did you guys catch that little snowglobe short before the movie? I had seen it before, but this time I was noticing how the flakes of snow in the globe were reacting with the motions of the snowman. Very realistic. Just thought I'd point that out.

"take care dudes..." user added image

# 33 09-06-2003 , 03:10 PM
The Snowglobe clip was awsome. Do you know the official name of it?

# 34 09-06-2003 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber

# 35 06-07-2003 , 08:33 PM
Very good movie indeed.
Loved the jokes .. specially the cetacean blabbering. :p
-Just saw it-

# 36 07-07-2003 , 03:56 AM
I totally agree with you guys. AWESOME movie. I loved the animation and character development.
Does Pixar only uses renderman for their movies?

.rib

# 37 07-07-2003 , 04:04 AM
Subscriber
Probably not, but I think they also use a home-brew animation system called Mannequin or something like that. Real nice work as always!

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 38 07-07-2003 , 04:16 AM
They model in Maya though .. or so I read. :p

# 39 07-07-2003 , 05:16 PM
Yep adl, they model and animate in Maya.

There's something that I've been tinking for a while now:

You see a movie from Pixar and the rendering is superb. the realism, everything (just talking about the render).
And you can see some great artwork made by amateur artists around the world with many different packages. (just take a look at CGtalk).
But i havn't seen as many cool renders made by amateur people with renderman as I'd expect.
Many people knows a lot, program tons of shaders can solve any renderman problem but.....
Where are the images???
Can only production houses use renderman to get nice images?
I know there are some outstanding images, but not as many as it should be made with the "highest quality renderer availible" as I read somewhere.

# 40 07-07-2003 , 07:47 PM
Renderman is a pretty expensive software program to just buy and not know how to use it. I'm pretty sure Pixar has real strict liscensing for their product, which in turn means not very many people have been able to take it home, so to speak. From what I gather Renderman is a robust program that requires some shader writing skills to truly master the software, and may not be something an amateur can pick up easily. This is the reason why you don't see very many images out there rendered specifically with Renderman.

The real showcase of Renderman is in the movies. I know ILM uses it, along with Mental Ray, and their stuff looks great. Pixars stuff looks impressive as well. I only hope someday my renders will look half as good as theirs.

# 41 07-07-2003 , 07:53 PM
Very good answer wchamlet. That´s exactly the point.
Renderman is just not for amateurs.

# 42 08-07-2003 , 04:55 AM
I don't think that's a problem form a talented and skilled 3D artist.

I don't remember where it was posted, maybe 3dluvr, a thread about software piracy and don't tell me that people doesn't use renderman because it's expensive.
Maya is expensive too and I swear that many of the coolest Images that i've ever seen are made by people wich doesn't own the software licenses (I'm not blaming anyone). great images made by merely teenagers from everywhere. just go and watch some 3D contest site.

you know and all of us know:
You can get renderman anywhere if you like.

I think that to produce those cool movie picture renderings, you have to work as a team and you MUST have a Renderman engineer near you.

# 43 08-07-2003 , 06:04 AM
Subscriber
Maybe theres actually a man names Renderman.. and hes the only one that can use the software properly, to its full extent :O.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 44 08-07-2003 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
or somebody was REALLY good with it (at Pixar) so they started to call him "the Renderman" and the name kinda stuck along

-Emo

# 45 09-07-2003 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber

Renderman

Have tried myself with Renderman some time ago...really awesome renderer, don't know how they get those images out of this renderer, though it's only a scanline renderer (since version 11 it's also a raytracing engine integrated for HDRI and GI, but slow as hell). So lot of these effects they use are only fake, f.ex. the reflections, colored shadows from semi-transparent objects. You don't really need shader writing skill, alltough it's helpful. The Renderman Artist Tools for MAYA use SLIM to create the shading networks, similar to the Hypershader withing Maya with the connection nodes aso. The thing that makes the renderer such awesome is it's speed in calculation motion blur (at the moment the biggest plus or PRMAN). Renderman is slower than Mental Ray in most cases of pure Scanline Rendering, not to speak from Raytracing or GI and Final Gathering. As far as I know, Pixar uses Maya to model, but to animate them, they use their In-House Software "Marionette", and Rendering with Renderman of course.

What's so awesome at Pixar is, the new technologies, they invent for every feature film....in this case for the underwater scenes....for Final Fantasy they've invented the DeepShadow technology for SquarePictures.

For me Pixar and SquarePictures are the most outstanding factories for Computer Animation at the moment (ILM doesn't count, because they only create commercials, and VFX for movies, and only very little, full animated products).

That's my opinion.......but I'm still wondering how they create those images...it's not a question of the renderer....nearly every renderer can create similar images (except Adobe Dimensions ;O))...it's the Know-How behind them, the things no one else can see..the technical background. They know how to fake things so they look real, but need only half of the rendertime...that makes an artist to an artist....

b u l l e t