Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-10-2003 , 10:53 PM

M16 or M16A1 (plus maybe a Marine)

This is going to be either the M16 or the M16A1 both used in the Vietnam war (I think).

To be carried by a marine later if I model him user added image

I've had some trouble with the dialog windows in maya, so the pipe had to be high poly... user added image

I was going to make this quite low poly, and then make a high poly version from that. Low poly because my ambition is to train on making models for games.

Attached Images
# 2 12-10-2003 , 10:55 PM
And as you might notice, it's only half the model in most places, because I've had trouble with dialog windows. SO I couldn't duplicate user added image

# 3 13-10-2003 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
The A1 was widely used in Vietnam after 1967 and was developed mainly as a result of problems identified in the field in Vietnam with the trial version of the M16. The main cosmetic differences wouldn't really show up in a model anyway, being chrome plated chamber and barrel, new buttstock and sight prong as well as the replaced powder and altered rate of fire. Looks ok, although it's rather hard to comment on accuracy from that angle, with only half of it there, however your magazine to breach section looks like the shorter less curved version you see on the A2.

Last edited by Witchy; 13-10-2003 at 01:35 AM.
# 4 13-10-2003 , 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Witchy
however your magazine to breach section looks like the shorter less curved version you see on the A2.

Hmm, I might have modelled that section from an A2, although I havn't gone into much detail in that area. And it probably won't be much more detailed in the "game"-version of the rifle.

If you can find any good reference pictures, it would be nice if you'd post them. I have plenty myself, but not everyone is good.

# 5 13-10-2003 , 04:43 PM
Hey there. Nice job man. I dont know much about guns but it looks pretty good to me. Im just noticing a few things...Is that whole model combined as single polymesh? Cuz im seeing a few things that can be fixed such as that boxy thingy which looks that it was just boolean'd and the top area aiming part (dont know what to call it) looks booleaned which both leaves trails of polys with more than 4 sides. Maybe you fixed it already. but yeah user added image Good job!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 6 13-10-2003 , 05:44 PM
Hi orgeeizm.

Well, some parts are a single polymesh, that boxy thing is not though, it's still separate. It's still separate because I just placed it there and to just have it there, I havn't worked on it yet.

But yeah, I'm working on all the parts that has been attached to eachother. Still have a while left to work on that. (Which I can do until I have fixed the dialog problems I have, that hinders me from duplicating).

# 7 13-10-2003 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
What is it with modelling M16s today, this is the fourth one i've seen today.

# 8 13-10-2003 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber

If you can find any good reference pictures, it would be nice if you'd post them. I have plenty myself, but not everyone is good.

The M16 is probably one of the worlds best documented weapons, so I am not sure what you would want, but I attach a zip file that includes a pic showing a cut down labelled original M16 (trials) and two other pics showing the differences between the A1 and the A2 - I labelled the major cosmetic differences on one of those for ease of reference and left the other blank so you can see the detail.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files
File Type: zip m16pics.zip (747.3 KB, 224 views)
# 9 13-10-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Grey: Watch that polycount, and check your n-sided polys so that they tesselate correctly into triangles (or smooth correctly for high-poly).
Witchy, for a doctor you know awfully lot about weapons. Is there a sinister side to all that cuteness? user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 10 13-10-2003 , 11:47 PM
Yeah, it's quite high polycount for the whole model at the moment because the cylinder used as pipe is the standard cylinder because of my problems with maya at the momen user added image

But I will replace it once the problems are fixed.

Hmm, and what do you mean with; "and check your n-sided polys so that they tesselate correctly into triangles".

I'm not so good with all the 3D jargon.

# 11 13-10-2003 , 11:52 PM
Ok, I understand now user added image

It was the "n-sided" part I didn't know what it meant...

# 12 13-10-2003 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Maybe I should have added a parenthesis with "(n greater than 4)". Fast typing, slow thinking user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 13 14-10-2003 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber

Witchy, for a doctor you know awfully lot about weapons. Is there a sinister side to all that cuteness?

It's a professional interest mainly; I have some postgraduate qualifications in the field of ballistics, which I began when I was in the army, and have worked on a variety of things in the general area including collaborative work on a programme that calculates ballistic damage, that's used by NATO forces in (ironically)weapon development and treatment of low and high velocity projectile wounds. You can't know ballistics without knowing yer gunz, as they say.

And I am incredibly sinister, so that also helps.

# 14 15-10-2003 , 06:34 PM
Btw, thanks for the Reference pictures Witchy, helped a lot. Especially that drawing of it. Allthough, is the muzzle flash really that big? It looks wierd on my model...

# 15 15-10-2003 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
No problem. Glad to help. As far as I know the suppressor is that big, it certainly is fairly large on the M16A2. They did change the configuration after the first release of the M16, you can see they added other ports to it, but size wise it looks about right in the pictures.