Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-10-2011 , 07:58 AM

Extruded surface with multiple profiles

Hi,

I'd like to ask if there is a way ( and I guess there is but I just can't realize where ) how to extrude a surface along path with multiple profile curves defining the newly created surface. As far as I know It's possible to select multiple profiles and the last curve selected is the path. But every time I do this I end up with the same amount of surfaces as was the number of picked profiles. But that's not desired. My goal is to produce only one surface with different profiles along its depth

Hope that I explained it clearly

Thanks for any help

Cheeeers

Gaucher

# 2 19-10-2011 , 08:12 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
From what you have written, sounds like how you'd create the hull of a boat.

The Birail tools are usually best for this. I say 'tools' because birail has more than 1 option depending on how many curves you have.

Jay

# 3 19-10-2011 , 09:04 AM
yep. what Jay said

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 19-10-2011 , 12:24 PM
The thin red line
Rick have you done a tutorial for the Birai tool?............dave

# 5 23-10-2011 , 10:49 PM

Birail

Cool. as I know about birail, You allways need kinda two rail curves and the other thing is, that the result is not like a tube but more like a semi tube so the disadvantage of birail in my case is I'd need two curves as a path and two surfaces - one for top and another one for bottom. What I'd like to create is sort of unorganical very long and crazy tube so birail doesn't seem to be the right choice in this case.

I was more thinking of something like a 3d max tool where you can scale your profile curve along its path using another curve on a graph and You can pick as many of profile curves as you want. If there's nothing like this in maya it's still alright I can sort it out in some other way. I was just curious about learning some new features.

Thanx a lot for Your replies

Gaucher

Last edited by Gaucher; 23-10-2011 at 10:52 PM.
# 6 23-10-2011 , 11:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
haha use max instead then

Jay

# 7 24-10-2011 , 12:51 AM
Take your profile curves and split them in half run a birail on each half, then join the two surfaces to create the tube.

Like this....

howto birail a tube shape - YouTube

It may not be as straight forward as it is in Max but there are things that are also more easily done in Maya. In the end there is usually some way to get similar results between the two packages although you need to take a slightly different approach.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 24-10-2011 at 02:56 AM.
# 8 24-10-2011 , 04:17 PM

Thanks

Thanks mates, seems to be a bit more complicated but still fair enough to get the job done. I switched from Max to Maya long time ago cause MAYA KICKS ASS obviously user added image

# 9 24-10-2011 , 04:32 PM
Lifetime Member
CT,

Nice video response for this question imagine the resource pool that SM would have if they did short videos for all of the threads. user added image

- Jake