Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-08-2011 , 08:05 PM
Acid44

Something's gone horribly wrong! Need urgent help!!!

I got a virus or something, turned off my PC to clean it, then turned it back on and it went kaput. Every start up program was giving messages about failure, windows was spitting out an error saying something like C:/$secure was corrupted. I figured i would copy everything I needed to my backup drive and start the process of formatting, but while everything was copying windows crashed and now it just gets stuck in a loop when I try to start it.

I need to get windows 7 onto a USB drive to install. With Windows it wouldn't be an issue at all, but I have no idea how to do it with Ubuntu

I'm working on a car as a test for a potential job, it needs to be finished by tomorrow night or else I'm absolutely f***ed, so I really need the help

# 2 17-08-2011 , 08:47 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 17-08-2011 , 08:58 PM
Acid44
Just though of something though; I'm fairly certain my stuff didn't finish backing up, is it possible to install 7 over Vista, as you could with Vista over Vista, where it just put the old crap in Windows.Old? And if so, would I still have the same documents folder, etc. Or would all that be deleted?

No idea how Ill be able to get my work back, and can't afford to lose it

Last edited by Acid44; 17-08-2011 at 09:01 PM.
# 4 17-08-2011 , 08:58 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sorry I'm an idiot you of course don't have a windows machine to run that on.

Have you tried the Ubuntu start up disc creator? Under the administration menu in Ubuntu I've no idea what would happen if you fed it a windows.iso might be worth a shot if your desperate.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 17-08-2011 , 09:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
I believe an upgrade was possible but i would not if I where you. I think the best idea is to install Ubuntu on a usb stick boot from the stick, then mount the PC HD's in linux finish the backup copy and then nuke and then install win 7

It's the way i'd do it.
Dave

# 6 17-08-2011 , 09:02 PM
Acid44
The program seems to work in Wine, so Ill try that, but if it doesn't work I'll try the start up disc creator

You post too fast for me, hard to keep up lol

I just read an article on Micro$oft's website about upgrading, which said it would copy over all the files/applications from Vista, but your option seems better as I've had problems with the Vista over Vista thing before

Would I be able to do the copy procedure from a live CD boot of Ubuntu 10.10? would save me a ton of time instead of getting another Ubuntu version and installing that to flash

Last edited by Acid44; 17-08-2011 at 09:18 PM.
# 7 17-08-2011 , 09:22 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sure should be no problem from the live CD, I've done it b4. Just mount the drives and copy from your old C: drive to your backup. Best way IMO least risk.

Dave

# 8 17-08-2011 , 09:29 PM
Acid44
Was just about to post that its working that way for me, you're one step ahead far too often user added image

Copying about 5500 items though so this is going to take a while >_<

# 9 17-08-2011 , 10:27 PM
SM Tea Boy
Having a Linux boot disc laying around has saved my ass on more than one occasion user added image

Dave

# 10 17-08-2011 , 10:37 PM
Acid44
Same here, doesn't usually come to mind at all until I've exhausted all other options, once it does come to mind there's usually a lot of cursing at the realisation of a 5 minute fix for whatever went wrong :p

# 11 18-08-2011 , 12:05 AM
Acid44
Neither of the ways you posted worked, they both wouldn't recognise the ISO file. I did however find another way on the net, I used gparted to format the flash drive to NTFS and UNetbootin is currently copying the vista stuff on to it (I hope)

Will post again when I find out if this will work

# 12 18-08-2011 , 12:34 AM
Technical Director
BartPE has saved me a few times. It's a cd-bootable version of windows XP. That being said, you actually need to have a windows installation disk, and valid license to create the disk. Great for extra XP 32 bit installation you might have lying around.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 13 18-08-2011 , 12:50 AM
Acid44
Sounds cool, may look into it before the next time this happens

All is well so far, on Win7 x64 now, things feel faster, but haven't installed any of my stuff yet, so time will tell. Just hoping I backed up my Maya stuff properly D: