Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-01-2004 , 02:45 PM

new character

Sorry for the other wip post. I was not truly inspired by my wizard; not as much as Bort.

Ok; after creating a few character concepts, I think I have one that I feel is hopefully unique enough, and a good representaion of me at this NOOB level. I am now going to completely focus on "Bort", and nothing else. I hope to rig hime too@

Here I go!user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 2 28-01-2004 , 02:48 PM
looks good

# 3 29-01-2004 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
Could you show the concepts if possible. Your textures are stretching on rim of the hat and maybe the cheeks. That’s cool about from the wizard to this.
maybe a wire also if your wanting some more C+C.

# 4 29-01-2004 , 08:49 AM
LOL,.... this reminds me of 1 of my female teachers!! :p

# 5 29-01-2004 , 02:42 PM
She must be a pretty woman user added image
lol

Lungs not guns....
# 6 29-01-2004 , 02:46 PM
Sure, I can show some concepts as I go. Pony, the stretching is my intention. I want it to look like a hand-knitted hat, that has a thicker edge along the front (I have one like this) user added image

I will upload the pants (hopefully tonight) they are REALLY wrinkled though, so I am worried about mapping ;( - but I will get it.

Lungs not guns....
# 7 29-01-2004 , 03:51 PM
Ok I think you've gone too far too fast with this model. I can understand if you are just wanting to keep things simple to learn etc but it would be a good idea to really look at the details (or lack of)in the face. I can't really tell where the nose is on the face (apart from where the nostrils lie). The eyelids seem to look as though they dont belong there at all, remember that this would all be part of the same skin so I'd try to improve them by integrating them more.

The eyes are freaking me out a bit, the iris of the eyes should really be round not oval shaped. Unless you're going for a stylised look.

On a quick note, where's his chin? user added image it seems to just blend into his neck :p

I feel that your texturing is not really there either. The skin at the forehead looks kinda weird. Are those freckles? dirt? or some weird disease user added image user added image I would be tempted to strip all of the textures off and ignore them for now. Finish the modelling before you ever start texturing that is a very good lesson to learn! user added image

Right you've got started that's the biggest hurdle, now you've got crits, so now it's time to improve and make it better user added image

Good luck and dont take my comments too personally user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 29-01-2004 , 04:41 PM
I agree with pure_mornings comments... I would definately hold off rigging and concentrate more on the modelling first on this one...

my $0.02

# 9 29-01-2004 , 04:52 PM

bort

I agree. One thing about that image is that the light is too bright, and I tried final gather (which created those strange artifacts on the texture. I believe this image shows the texture, and shape better.

Oops, I did not notice that the eyes were scaled like that, I will fix it. I am going for a cartoony look, with the eyelids hopefully opening and closing kinda dramatic. I must admit I tend to texture too early. I guess I need to see it as I go... I am now deep in modeling, and have not started to rig. I merely meant that I want to eventually rig this character. Thanks for the crits. (I kind of like the weak chin)

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 10 29-01-2004 , 05:04 PM
ok that does look 100% better!

My comments about the eyes still hold as does the one about the chin. Can we see some wires of it to help you spot potential future probs.

I'm really not a fan of the hat at the moment still user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 11 29-01-2004 , 05:21 PM

IMDB
# 12 29-01-2004 , 05:30 PM
Thanks, and I still agree. I feel the image you linked me too looks much more human, and realistic than I was going for. I think what I am envisioning would be something from the world of Wallace and Gromitt. I will upload a wire. The only irritating thing is I did not save a low poly version of the head, and it is high now, so tweaks could be problematic. I guess I should convert to subs to make changes? still learning every day... Thanks Pure.

Lungs not guns....
# 13 30-01-2004 , 12:13 AM
I would suggest looking at some refs, even if you going for a cartoony look.

One thing to remember, observe real life (the object, action, person etc) and exaggerate.

You notice that caracatures of famous people usually look more like the person than an actual photo of them. It's based on what i just said.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 14 30-01-2004 , 01:09 AM
Worked on the pants and shoes to think.

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 15 30-01-2004 , 01:12 AM
Everytime I mirror, I get this seam, and the connected faces. I think I have ruined my head........... How do you mirror so the seam is meets?????????????????

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....