Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-06-2005 , 05:17 PM

three question

i have three question for you.
first:when i model a character, if i dont insert the member of the body togeter to do one thing(if at the end i dont have one part), does it will only affect the look of my caracter or i wont be able to do specific thing like make the bones.i know its not clear
second:in the tutorial that show us how to make the skeleton, it doesnt shows how i can move the dog with the bones.whats the way to do that.
and thirth:whats the way you use to insert ex:the arm into the chest so at the end we cant see that i used two differente form(cube,cylindre...)

i need to know.thanx to answeruser added image

# 2 19-06-2005 , 05:20 PM
ohh i forgot one.i know i said three but...

when i begin a new character, how can i cut my character to see only one part and at the end duplicate it to do a symetrical model.

i already see cartoo dg tutoial.

# 3 19-06-2005 , 08:48 PM
please answer:zzz: :zzz:

# 4 19-06-2005 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
your model doesnt NEED to be one piece of geometry, but i think it does help with skinning to get proper deformations. It's not a necessity though.

----

To get only one half of your model, go to front view and right click on the model and select "faces"

select all the faces on the left side of the Y axis (thick black vertical line) and then delete them

to duplicate the model over and make it symetrical, select the half of the model and go to the Edit->Duplicate option box. Change the scale in X to -1:

Scale: | -1.0 | 1.0 | 1.0 |

once that's done, you need to select both halves and go to Polygons->Combine and then merge the vertices like in the Dog Tutorial

---

on the 3rd question were you talking about making the arm and body one piece of geometry?

if so, make sure the two parts are intersecting and then select the leg, hit enter, shift select the body, hit enter and then go to Polygons->Booleans->Union

Then just clean up the geometry

Last edited by errethakbe; 19-06-2005 at 08:58 PM.
# 5 19-06-2005 , 09:06 PM
thanx a lot man your help is very apreciated.user added image