Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-07-2006 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber

Need help with lattices!!

Okay, i've created a driven key for the blinking of my eyelids.., then created a lattice to deform the eyes to the way they should look, and still keep the same blinking ability. the same lattice is deforming the eye and i've got an aim contraint so that i can move it wher ei want it and it maintains the proper shape.
The problem is, when i aim the eye, the pupil gets distored by the lattice (see photo)
Is there a way to have the pupil follow the eye deformation, but not have it be deformed by the lattice? in otherwords, i want it to move with the eye, and stay on the surface, but i don't want it to be deformed the way that the lattice wants to deform it. i want to maintain the shape of the pupil.

any help would be great.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-07-2006 , 11:33 PM
Senior Software Developer
As far as I know and understand the lattice deformer. It will deform the geometry, this includes vertices, edges, CV's, and UV's.

SO you texture applied will deform also.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 27-07-2006 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
the pupil is a separate piece of geomerty...i can change it so it's not affected by the lattice, but then it doesnt follow the contours of the eye...the pupil stands off of the eye and it doesnt look right. So i want the pupil geometry to follow the curve of the deformed eye (i.e. bend to match the shape) but i dont want the pupil to actuall stretch and squash as it is now

# 4 27-07-2006 , 09:34 AM
hmm...if you are gonna use the pupil as a seperate geometry, i think it may be possible through some adv. mel scripting to have the pupil move along the surface of the white eyeball keeping it's same volume area.

Otherwise, have you thought about just painting a black pupil on the white eye ball? since it's just a plain black one colored pupil.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 5 27-07-2006 , 12:19 PM
Senior Software Developer
If that geometry is going through the lattice then it will be effected also. Any Geometry passing through a lattice is affected by the deformation.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 27-07-2006 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
it won't be 1 color...these are preliminary colors..no texturing has been done yet...
Also, the pupil is a separate piece of geometry so i can do things like squash/dilate/etc, but manually using controls i set up.
i can have the geometry in the lattice and not be affected by it, if it doesnt have an association with the lattice...
actually, i don't want it to an an association with the lattice, just with the surface of the eye....i thought about a separate lattice just for the pupil that matches the curve of the eye...only problem is, i can't get the curve right, and the deformations don't work correctly either.
is there a way to create a lattice from a surface, so it has teh same curvature?
I cant do it with texturing, because the texture will get distorted with the eye just as the pupil is.
i don't know mel scripting, so unfortunately, i can't do that...espcially advanced mel.
i'll keep messing with it..if there are any more ideas, please let me know.

# 7 27-07-2006 , 10:09 PM
Subscriber
i got it.
found a script called Rivet that creates a locator that follows along the surface, and i parented the eye to the locator...it's working pretty well.