Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-01-2003 , 09:42 AM
Kevin

What you guys think?

This is an idea that Philip gave me as he is going to do it on the simplylightwave site (cheers Phil)

Right the idea is that every month we will run a competition on a specific model.. this may be a dinosaur / automobile / plane / cup etc..

Then that winning model will be entered into our model area here on the site

Models don't have to be textured, but you will have to include a txt file stating that you own the copyright of the model and allow for free download for non-commercial purposes, since the winners model will be made available in our 3D model area.

Of course we shall give any winner some vip access as we would not expect to take a high quality model from you for nothing! (would we ? user added image)

This way ... you benefit - the site benefits and the members benefit!

What you guys think? If you like it the first competition will begin on the 1/2/2003

btw - although mods cant win access to the VIP area as you all ready have it... It would be nice to see some entrys from you guys to user added image

# 2 16-01-2003 , 10:47 AM
Great idea. Although a month seems to be a little tight for me since I have so little time per week to play with maya and because I tend to be a little too perfectionist user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 16-01-2003 , 11:01 AM
Kevin
thx for your feedback k-man... yep i guess its like the challenge forum where some have a little more time and others struggle..

I think 2 months might be a little to strung out and people may lose interest and if we do a 6 week thing..then people will get all messed up on the dates..

easier to do calender months..but I hear you mate, I dont have time to do ANY! Its wierd .. I done this site to learn more and now have less time user added image

cheers K-man

# 4 16-01-2003 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber

Re: What you guys think?

[i] btw - although mods cant win access to the VIP area as you all ready have it... It would be nice to see some entrys from you guys to user added image [/B]

Ok, so what about people who already have a subscription? Do they just win more points or is this strictly for those who have no points?

Either way, I think it's a great idea. I think it will be very motivational as far as getting people to model b/c they know they have a reward in the future. It also gives new people a chance to get the feel of publishing their copyrighted work. Peobably will make them feel more professional. user added image Good idea mate. user added image

# 5 16-01-2003 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
yeh it might get some maya models in the 3d models section is it just the 1 or 2 i d/l'd or are they all from 3ds ?
can normal model import those ?
nice idea anyway kev head turned on again user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 6 16-01-2003 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
I wouldn't mind offering models to SM! I think it is a good idea.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 7 16-01-2003 , 12:08 PM
Kevin
darkware: Both - if they are a subscriber then we can add more points - if not then we will open them an account..

Probably 5 points a win?

Ill decide that laters...

Also mumbojumbo: I totally agree, I am fed up with using that 3ds model import.. nice to have some .mbs there!!

If you guys want these strickly only to be downloaded from the sm site then also say or they will be on every site in the world and you may not give you the credits.

I will then make sure this is stated in the read me.txt of that model

cheers for your feedback guys

# 8 16-01-2003 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
I think this is a GREAT idea! Will there be both newbie and normal entries?

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 9 16-01-2003 , 12:25 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by -<{ JB }>-
I think this is a GREAT idea! Will there be both newbie and normal entries?

I doubt it mate as the models need to be good... (if you get me) not sure people would want to download newbie models... but - at least its a goal! to get your models in the model area!

I think its something that would encourage people to work more on there modeling...

# 10 16-01-2003 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
quite true.

It shall be the goal for all Simple Mayans (members of SM) to aspire to.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 11 16-01-2003 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
awesome

# 12 16-01-2003 , 03:07 PM
Sounds cool=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 13 16-01-2003 , 04:52 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!!

This is a GREAT way for newbees to try harder to learn to model, AND even if thier particular model is NOT chosen, they still win, becuase they can download the winning model to study, and learn as well!

Good call Kev!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 14 16-01-2003 , 08:04 PM
# 15 16-01-2003 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
Looking forward to it!

Great idea!

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html