Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-02-2004 , 02:12 PM

First Light

Hi. I finished modelling and texturing an orchid last night for my current project and the render turned out pretty cool. This is good ole maya software renderer with your basic lights.

Attached Thumbnails

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus

Last edited by rhaoosh; 04-02-2004 at 02:19 PM.
# 2 04-02-2004 , 02:20 PM
why is the light so bright outside and the inside picth black?

The flower looks quite nice, but the leaves look like plastic, you need some sort of light diffusing through them to make them look better (also do they have any bump mapping?)

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 04-02-2004 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
nice composition to it.

# 4 04-02-2004 , 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The room looks dark because light from outside is the only thing lighting the room... Here's the unfinished room just so you get the context.

As for the plasticy look...the leaves were freshly washed user added image (I blame it on the anisotropic material attributes)

Attached Thumbnails

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus
# 5 04-02-2004 , 02:49 PM

.the leaves were freshly washed

freshly washed or not they would still allow light to scatter and diffuse through them.

The room looks dark because light from outside is the only thing lighting the room

With light that bright outside the room would actually be very bright. I am in a room with one big window (wit the shutters half down) and there is nothing that dark in the room. Light that srtong would bounce around and illuminate everything in the scene. there would be some dark areas but not that wall. Thin of all the light bounding off the floor and the other walls etc.

edit
I just looked at your website, the pic with the dog and the tweety toy standing in the light from the window looks much better. The wall is maybe a tad too evenly done for my liking but it is a lot better and feels a lot warmer.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

Last edited by Alan; 04-02-2004 at 02:54 PM.
# 6 04-02-2004 , 03:04 PM
I guess for the lighting I was trying to achieve the look of staring at the orchid along with the outside light even though it hurts your eyes...and everything inside gets dark.

Your right pure_morning about the leaves...I'll tone down the specularity. As for achieving the light going through the leaves look..I"m not sure how to do it with the Maya default renderer since I have some "furry" things in my scene and Mental Ray doesn't do fur.

# 7 04-02-2004 , 04:54 PM
I like the visual statement, and contrasting color of the flower and the scene user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 8 04-02-2004 , 09:34 PM
Nice work!

-------------------------------------------
# 9 08-02-2004 , 10:28 PM

As for the plasticy look...the leaves were freshly washed

Ahhh. That explains the washer then. user added image Some leaves actually do look plasticy like that, so you're not too far off on that.

The light is way too bright though. Or perhaps, it's the lack of any detail outside the window. The contrast is just killing the image. Put in some outside area and it should bring it all together.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 09-02-2004 , 08:37 PM
user title spammer
very nice!

i like flowers ... something that needs to be modelled a lot more ...

# 11 09-02-2004 , 09:13 PM
I think this is more what Pure morning ment. The light will shine through the leaves as if they are translucent. grab a leave and put it in front of a light. It will somewhat glow.

Attached Images

Last edited by RickStefani; 09-02-2004 at 09:44 PM.
# 12 13-02-2004 , 11:27 PM

updated

Hi! Yeah so I found the "translucency" slider under the material properties for the leaves...who knew? user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 13-02-2004 , 11:43 PM
There you go. Maybe paint the viens in for the map.

# 14 18-02-2004 , 02:36 AM
Wow. That made a big difference. Looks amazing! No need to add veins...orchid leaves don't have any (or they can't be seen at least 'cause they are so thick).

# 15 18-02-2004 , 03:39 AM
Why does it all look so washed out?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."