Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-05-2008 , 08:56 PM

Sunglasses tut pls help

Hi all. Im new to maya and i have a project for uni relating to modeling a pair of sunglasses....

was wondering if there are any tips and tricks in making one that would make the whole process a lot easier???

~teach me
# 2 02-06-2008 , 10:59 AM
The first time I made sunglasses, I started with a cylinder, 15 sides, and pulled it into the shape I wanted (I made them sort of semicurcular) and then I copied it, extruded the central face twice (similar to the basic technique of making a cup) and used append polygon to make a hole (This would become the rim of the glasses). Then, I put the model that I had copied from in the middle of the rim, and made them all very skinny (glass sized). I just bent a cube around for the nosepiece, and then I extruded a cube along a curve for the ear-thingies.

Then I mirrored the lens, rim, and the ear-thing across the axis (not combining them) and applied a semi-transparent dark material to the lens (a phong) and a slightly brighter blinn to everything else. I didn't bother to texture anything, but here's a quickie render of a copy I just did for kicks >_>

user added image

~I have no idea what I'm doing~