Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-01-2007 , 02:33 PM

When i open maya, 2 errors....Maya 7.0

Well i decided to install maya since i use it in my animation class in school, but there is a problem.
Ok, i either get an error like
"Memory Consitancy Failure" , then maya gets the Not Responding windows thing, or when i load up maya, the window in which all 3d objects are created with the grid in it, doesnt come up, the window is there, but i cant see the grid or anything. Im using:
AMD Dual Core 2800+
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT Over clocked to about 480 Mhz
2 Gigs RAM
250 GB HDD.
Maya 7.0 Personal Learning Edition
Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot

# 2 24-01-2007 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
Well, I can think of two things to try. Firstly, and the easier, quicker of the two is to hit the button on the left of the screen that seperates the window into 4 view panels - it's the button with 3 "+" symbols and a diamond in it.
Sometimes it'll opens up for me with a great big grey screen, devoid of a grid. I hit the button to split it up into 4 panels and I'm away and racing again.

The second one depends on the size of the modules you've got and whether or not you're able to use all of your memory with other applications. I.e Have you got 512Mb modules, and the pc starts playing funny-buggers when the task manager tells you that your memory usage is >512, >1024, >1536

To test that, I'd try taking out the memory from the motherboard and just trying it 1 stick at a time. I've had trouble in the past when some programs tried to access memory from multiple Ram modules, it turned out one of them was labelled incorrectly and was running @ 100 Mhz instead of 133. Windows didn't have a problem and the pc would start fine, but whenever I ran something that wanted more than 256 MB, I was starting to use the 3rd module and that was when I started getting an error message very similar to yours, though I forget the exact wording now..

Oh yeah, also if the main cpu is overclocked too, I'd try undoing that.

S.

# 3 24-01-2007 , 11:16 PM
I remeber once I got 'memory errors' and a lot of wierd stuff with my system once and I traced it back to my overheating graphics card. I notice that you have your graphics card overclocked so try running the card at its base stats, it may also help with the window not displaying anything too.