Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-11-2007 , 02:34 AM

Glass with liquid

some time ago I started to experiment with glass and liquid materials, since a designing friend of mine will need some clean renderings next year.

the trickiest thing besides creating a convincing shader is the studio light setup with backdrops and all IMO. to create realistic reflections isn´t that easy...

I first tried with mentalRay but must tell I find it rather hard to get it right there. first darker renderings are from a 3dsmax scene somewhere from the internet. I stole the model (it was a free one XD ) and did set up a shader network for mentalray.

after I wasn´t too happy about mr - especially about different peoples different opinions on the IOR/gemetry-context I modeled my own wine glass and tried maxwell render

maxwell rox! (with the magic render button...)

those renderings came out after 1 day of testing. I know, I still have a long way to go until perfection (photorealism is the goal).

In case you people have ideas about studio light setups for reflections or lighting in general - don´t hasitate to let me know. also any imput how to improve will make me happy user added image

also feel free if interested to post any pictures yourself in this thread

-> mr renderings

Attached Thumbnails

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 30-11-2007 , 02:35 AM
maxwell low render settings

Attached Images

# 3 30-11-2007 , 02:36 AM
maxwell higher rendersettings.

I´ll post the maya scene itself soon.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 30-11-2007 , 04:12 AM
hello Falott. looks great, can I drink a liitle?

I use maxwell render too, can you show us your scene lights and environment? Thanks and to learn.

keep up!

user added image

# 5 30-11-2007 , 04:27 AM
looks good falott user added image

in that last render with the wine / grape juice - the glass doesn't look like it has much thickness. also, is it worth adding some objects behind the glass to show how the liquid distorts the object?

# 6 30-11-2007 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
vnice, whered you learn how to do liqiud?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 01-12-2007 , 01:35 AM
not a render! XD

user added image

interesting point arran. that´s one of the things which have to be found out here user added image I don´t know if it depends on the angle of viewing when you see "thickness" around the liquid. I think the light gets refracted through glas and liquid so it seems to have no thickness at all. but there may be other examples where you can actually see glas thickness next to the liquidBody. maybe this has to do with another light source illuminating the glas from the side and creating reflections at a near 90° angle from the camera.

user added image

I don´t know if those images show what I mean. i got a pretty bad monitor here at my girlfriends place so I can just guess.

for the objects behind the glas to get distortion - user added image one at a time. I´ll try it next. just wanted to get some nice reflections first.

@lealar should be back home tomorrow or on monday. I´ll geab both scenes - maya and maxwell and post a rarFile.

basically I didn´t use any light, that´s why you find no caustics in those images. I just applied a lightmaterial to planes. I don´t know if it should create caustics tho. just started with maxwell...

where did I learn? well, the helpFiles come in handy most time, and google is important as well.

# 8 01-12-2007 , 01:40 AM
ha ha - fair enough falott! you can't argue with a photograph! i guess i need to study my glass of wine a bit longer before putting it away. user added image

# 9 01-12-2007 , 01:49 AM
XD

I just examined one of nina´s wine glasses. think I need to add some irregularities to my model for nicer refraction. ^^

# 10 01-12-2007 , 02:02 AM

# 11 01-12-2007 , 04:27 AM
You should work on the wine material also. It looks to transparent and thin. It should be darker and thicker.

# 12 01-12-2007 , 04:48 AM
yeah, you are right. the wine looks poor. I am trying to find a good shader oder method to create one. maybe a SSS solution or something that "thins out" where substance diminishes. I don´t know yet. did you ever render wine? which kind of shader did you use, if so?

but first I need to understand how iors between different mediums work. because right now - if you watch the first 3 mr renderings again - I couldn´t tell myself which one is physically correct in terms of bending lightrays. I used different methods from different tutorials

one with the liquidBody penetrating the glass -
another with detaching the liquidToGlas-part and giving it a IORnew = IORglass/IORliquid , or was it the other way around?? also the liquidToAir-part got a new ior which isn´t from air nor is it from liquid. those tuts sounded plausible but gave completely different results compared to another and compared to real photos. (...I need to take some pictures from all this with camera!)

you see - this is all yet so confusing I can´t even explain what I did exactly. but as soon as I do -

I sure write a new confusing tutorial about L&G XD

tell me about wine shader if you have any ideas!

# 13 01-12-2007 , 06:22 AM

# 14 03-12-2007 , 03:55 PM
hm, somehow my scenefile seems to be too big...

DJbLAZER
hehe- vino_primitivo_5902.mxm
it was exactly the same shader from mxm-site I use for the wine. maybe it is just boring because i didn´t use any real lights, just light shaders. I have to try soon. thx!

# 15 10-12-2007 , 03:00 AM
updated the scene. closed the hole in the floor right beyond the glass which was used to light the glass. because of that I had to push the bottom geometry of the glass a bit upwards to get circular refractions again. also added some loops to the liquid-air geometry and smoothed it to get the shape right. before the piece of geo looked like a convex/concave disc. also worked on the wine shader and added a SSS-layer. still needs some tweaks.

for the lighting setup I deleted the light planes and used used a hdri image nothing else. the image file is a bad one i have to find some studioSetup hdris somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails