Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-05-2011 , 10:41 PM

Maya files suddenly loading with 'z' as up axis?

Hello Maya community. I'm back with another silly question.

I'm not sure what I did, but suddenly most of my maya files are loading with the up axis set to 'z' instead of 'y'. The model ends up rotated 90 degrees so that it's lying across the grid instead of standing on it, and when I look from the 'front' position, it looks like I'm looking at it from the top.

Any clue what I might have done? I know Maya's default up axis is 'y', and they were displaying correctly before, so I thought I'd ask before I go messing with the settings or rotating anything.

Edit: Also, when I tell maya to make a new blank document, it defaults to its normal up axis being 'y'. It's only when I load files that the up axis suddenly changes to 'z'. Any ideas? user added image

# 2 16-05-2011 , 10:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
There's an option in the Settings/Preferences that actually has a checkbox for Y-up or Z-up. Can't recall exactly where it is, but if you look for it, you should find it. Hope that solves the problem.

# 3 16-05-2011 , 11:08 PM
Lifetime Member
go Window>Settings>Preferences and its in Settings to have Z or Y as the axis

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 16-05-2011 , 11:43 PM
Thanks guys! I found the setting. The next time I load a file that changes the axis, I'll go see if that setting was changed as well.