Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-02-2004 , 03:53 AM

GIJoe makes me feel like i'm good at 3d

I barely know how to model, don't know how to texture, but I can make stuff look good with GiJoe user added image I like it because I can make simple buildings out of cubes and render it, and it looks almost real! The lighting looks so awesome. It is really cool. I can only dream of how cool it will be to one day make those amazing characters, and render them with GIJoe!

# 2 27-02-2004 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
lol... learn to render with Mental Ray - Final Gather.. you'll feel like a GOD!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 27-02-2004 , 11:29 AM

and it looks almost real!

most noobs think that too... then they look back a year later and cringe user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 27-02-2004 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
What's GIJoe?

# 5 27-02-2004 , 06:08 PM
https://www.pixho.com

it's a Global Illumination lighting setup that is severly overused in 3d user added image j/k take a look at pixho.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 27-02-2004 , 07:20 PM
actually GI_Joe is amazing when you do test renders, since it lights your object from all sides and revealing any possible surface flaws.

I alsways use it when I model, but I still havnt finished a real project using GI_Joe lighting.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 7 28-02-2004 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber
To me its just a tool like many other things and as such, it being a very nice tool. It can be a big help or a big hindrance. Using it to help something look good when you can find other ways to improve it is distracting you from the goal of getting better. But when used as a tool to spot farther problems with the model like Caligraphic's mentioned its a benefit.
Its all about why your using it.

and yeah fun isn't it ???

# 8 04-03-2004 , 09:18 PM
Hehehe, GiJoe made me feel like that too. user added image
Those little toys surely pack a punch eh? :p