Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-04-2008 , 09:53 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

careers in UK

does anyone know where i can find out about a career in 3d in the uk, such as salaries
everything ive looke dat are oblivous to the 3d world it seems

# 2 18-04-2008 , 02:14 AM
Have you had a look at 3d specific job sites to se if theres salaries on there?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 18-04-2008 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
You heard of 3D World Magazine?
You should definitely be getting it every month. A few back they have a survey of industry folk in it and I managed to pull the PDF off of the cg Architect site. Now it pertains mostly to architecture, but its all i've got.

But search for companies in and around the UK, many companies around here are happy to discuss things with "students".
Survey

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 18-04-2008 , 10:49 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
ok cheers
can i just ask
how much do you get paid and what do you do?

# 5 18-04-2008 , 10:54 AM

Originally posted by elephantinc
ok cheers
can i just ask
how much do you get paid and what do you do?

Who??

# 6 18-04-2008 , 11:56 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 7 18-04-2008 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
Earning money or the amount is very wide depending on,

Your knowledge
Your Network capabilities
Your Inspiration
etc, etc,

To get a job without bothering about the rest is networking. If you have somebody`s friend working for example Double Negative, then you can always ask your friend to arrange a meeting.

A rookie earns starting from 17.000 Pounds.
A Lead earns anything around 30.000 or more
A supervisor, well i dont know that one user added image

How did i get my job, well with me it was a full range to do with allot of other ellements, no networking.

Currently Lead Creative at Inverse Forge and working on a TV Show and Film.

But in 3D there are two major ways to get a job,

Your lucky.
Or Your skills are sparkling unique.

Take Framestore, they get 100+ cv`s a day, thats hard to get into without the help of networking.
same for MPC, DN and any other Soho Company.

So ok where to start then, Go to events, take courses, make friends, one day one of your friends will have a good postition and you can ask for help, friends help friends, but still make yourself worthy.

Take Jay for example user added image he worked on Heads, if your a good friend go and knock on his door user added image lol hahah sorry Jay could not resist.

So this is what i would do if you have Jack sh%t.

Hope it helps.

# 8 18-04-2008 , 04:01 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL cheers Aiko!!

Ive had a couple of 3d over the last 15years, 3d comics, for newspapers and graphic design stuff too, plus digital photowork etc...

I was lucky to get on 'Headcases' though, thats a big thanks to Steve (gster123) he found the job and put it in my direction, after applying I phoned them up, as I wanted the job, luckily I was on the short list and as I phoned them it made difference too I think as it made me seem more keen to get on with it.

But as with most jobs its all about luck and having good skills to win the employer over.

There are lots of 3d jobs out there you have to find them, just do a google search for things like 3d modeller, animator jobs etc, you'll be surprised at what comes up and then you'll taken to various sites where there'll be jobs etc...

as for money, well thats a real personal question to just ask someone but I'll tell you this dont expect to earn awsome money as soon as you start, expect a low wage of 15-17,000....pounds

the sooner you get your arse in gear the sooner you can earn more, but it should never be about the money when you start out, its about loving what you do and your enthusiasms for your job, thats what takes you higher...

_Jay

# 9 18-04-2008 , 04:10 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
sadly my mum doesnt seem to think so
she wants me to earn at least £50k
shes expecting me to become a vet user added image

# 10 18-04-2008 , 04:40 PM
Well you'd better get to Uni and learn programming for starters if thats the kind of money you are looking at, and again you wont get that from a first job

Jay

# 11 18-04-2008 , 04:46 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
sadly my mum doesnt seem to think so
she wants me to earn at least £50k
shes expecting me to become a vet user added image

Dude if your hearts not in doing that then dont do it, you wont get satisfaction at the end of the day.

# 12 18-04-2008 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey don`t let anybody not even your mum tell you what to do.

I`v come a long way sins 3D.

2001: Plumber(belgium)
2002-2006: Sales Agent Retail Store (belgium)
2006: Escape Studios Student
2006 -2007: Warehouse (uk)
2007: Freelance 3D
2008: Inverse Forge

So you see i have done allot of stuff, if i had the chance to do what i wanted back in school, i would have done Art or something, but not always in life you can do what you want. So if you can do what you want, do it. otherwise you are going to be unhappy.

3D is like heaven to me, money comes second place to me.
I dont expect a big wage, would love it thou, but if its not possible then hey thats not a biggie.

Also not being reliable to family helps.

I have lived in 3 different country`s already, and it seems not to stop at 3 user added image

And i totally agree with Jay, it`s allot about luck, and how the reqruiter is. maybe its your professional approuch? Maybe your relaxed.

I have never ever send out a professional letter, i dont want to, i`m not suit, i`m an artist. Maybe thats why it took me so long to get a good job, its all about being your self. My brother a Suit, he recommended me a bunch of times for professional letters, i just cant live with that stuff, i dont feel good when i send it, because its not me.

But dont take me as a good example, i`m bad influence user added image or maybe not, who knows user added image

# 13 18-04-2008 , 06:55 PM

3D is like heaven to me, money comes second place to me.

Absolutely!! No Doubts!! I couldnt agree more

cheers
Jay