Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 61 13-01-2010 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
...Alan......Alan.....Alan.....
Is this the same Alan that used to have the Screen name Pure Morning i thin kit was? ...
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 62 13-01-2010 , 06:07 PM
that's the one user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 63 14-01-2010 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
ahh, good to see you back mate, I know i took a hiatus for a your or so but i haven't heard anything out of you since....hell since the first AVP movie you worked on. LoL

Hope you have more time to hang around always good to hear your input / advice

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 64 18-01-2010 , 02:54 PM
Hey Alan, good to see you. You seem to make appearances here about as often as I do these days. user added image

Saw Avatar in 3D over the weekend with the wife. Both of us really really enjoyed it. I kept thinking: "Well, if Square Enix took the plot line of Dances with Wolves (or more generally the plight of the American Indians when the settlers first came) and created a Final Fantasy world for it—the design of the environments, creatures, and technology reminded me quite a bit of the FF style—that would be Avatar."

The movie's execution was fantastic. I will say the one thing that always sticks out in my mind from a "Oh, that's weird" perspective with regards to animation (in most cg-heavy movies) are battle scenes like when a person suddenly gets smacked off a horse or something...to me, that's when it looks CG...or at least it looks like the idea of animating 'weight' gets lost. Sometimes you see a similar thing when CG characters are riding horses....no weight to the rider and the result becomes a tad cartoony. A good example of what I'm talking about is something like LotR: RotK...let's say the scene where Legolas is scaling the oliphaunt. It wasn't "so" prevalent in Avatar but noticeable in a few scenes. None-the-less, the movie over all was so well-done and you become so immersed in the story the little things don't matter as much.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 65 16-02-2010 , 04:46 AM
Unfortunately I have to write off any 3D movies because I can't see in 3D. Damn strabismus. With glasses my eyes straighten out but I still don't see the 3D effect or it fades in and out and I can't control it making 3D movies more frustrating to watch. If you've ever seen anyone get really pissed off looking at a 'Magic Eye' poster then that's me.

# 66 19-02-2010 , 01:26 PM
Technical Director
Saw it in iMax last week. I really enjoyed the movie, but the 3d effect was pretty poor. Anything that moved just even a little bit was very blurry. I also noticed that iMax being a linear-polarizing system, if you tilted your head even slightly, you would see ghosting, or even see the other polarized projection.

I'm going to see it in RealD hopefully tonight (depends when I can get off work), and see how that fares.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 67 22-02-2010 , 04:40 AM
Technical Director
Right. Finally saw it in RealD. Staked out my seats as well.

It looks much better in RealD, than it did in iMax. Still a bit blurry, but the colors were much more saturated.

Granted, I sat near the front at iMax (only available seats), but if I'm paying about $15 a ticket, then it should be good from all angles.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.