Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 30-09-2007 , 06:36 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
But I dont want to leave my PC rendering all night, if I did it would be to render an animation not a still.

Also theres no displacement support as yet, which is a big downer to shelling out £1500 (think its that) when I use Maya - Zbrush displacement gen.

Also since ive got mental ray with maya i'll stick to that and learn it.

I'm no way bashing Maxwell, its got briliant results just not the right thing for me, I personally would give render man a bash as i'm starting to get into animation.

Yeah, they say that there will be displacement support soon. I don’t really care about that too much (at this moment), because Pixologic is taking forever to make a Mac version of ZB3.

And yes, I will complain about Pixologic until they give me a release date! :p

# 17 01-10-2007 , 05:37 AM
Jr.Who

# 18 02-10-2007 , 12:29 PM
Well, I've checked out a lot of Mental Ray renders including visiting www.mentalimages.com since mental ray is distributed by mental images' OEM partners. I checked out their gallery (with a completely open mind) and for me, I still believe Maxwell Render is MUCH better at rendering photo-realistic scenes.

It's more time consuming to render with Maxwell, but maybe it's like food. A microwave is really quick but it sure can't stand up to the taste of slow cooked meal.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 19 14-10-2007 , 02:11 AM
Maxwell is ok for rendering frames, but I doubt that it would ever be used for movies, especially by Pixar. It took them 50 hours per frame to completely render out the movie "Cars" in MR, so Maxwell is probably out of the question for movies.

But then Maxwell doesn't need much tinkering with. Still, I like MR because of that IPR render. If you mess up in Maxwell, you'd waste a lot a time fixing problems and waiting to render over and over again.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 20 14-10-2007 , 06:44 AM
Good points AnthonyCg,

It's because of the rendering times that I've personally decided to stick with MR. After giving it some serious thought (and with the help of everyone's comments), I've decided that the quality difference between MR and Maxwell isn't really enough to justify the long rendering times of Max.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!