Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 28-10-2007 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
Completely reworked the color map. Still no spec or bump map.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 29-10-2007 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber
Done with all the maps and the shader, now I need to move onto the eyes and see what I do about the hair.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 29-10-2007 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
And here are the eyes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 30-10-2007 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Played a little bit with the light and changed the color of the iris to something closer to what it should be.

I am still tweaking the actual model's shape...Im just going to edit this image until im ready to move onto the hair.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 31-10-2007 at 03:46 AM.
# 20 31-10-2007 , 08:16 AM
Acid44
that baby lookin at me is the scariest shit ive ever seen in my life but other than that...

sweet model manthe eyes look too... unglossy... but thats ituser added image

# 21 31-10-2007 , 08:20 AM
Nice going Minstrel

The material on the top looks great!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 22 31-10-2007 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber
Hey Guys, thx for the comments.

Acid, the problem with the reflection is that there is no reflection map or surface to reflect. I'll add something at some point.

gster, thx for the comments.

The textures still need a lot of work, particularly the bump map. I thought I was done with the color map, but I think I need to add some more detail. The camera is too close to the model.

# 23 01-11-2007 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Here is some more progress

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 03-11-2007 at 05:08 PM.
# 24 06-11-2007 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
Here is an attempt at the hair

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 06-11-2007 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
I think the biggest problems with the eyeballs are that they're not the right color, they're a bit too large and spaced apart, and too far forward, which shrinks the thickness of the eyelids. I'd also take another 15 minutes on the ear and bash out some more refined forms for that. Also, the size of the body conflicts with the age I think you're going for.

anyway, the skin shading looks real nice, and it's coming along pretty well. Keep it up, man

# 26 07-11-2007 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
Thank you Funky for the crit. I'll play around with the eye balls as you suggest, those were good comments. The ear does need work, but I didnt want to spend too much time because the hair was going to cover it. But Im thinking of changing the hair style to a couple of pony tails, and in that case, the ear would show.

this is suppossed to be a 5 year old. I was not happy with the body either and stopped rendering it. I'll have to do something about that.

I did spend several hours over the weekend remembering what I had learnt about hair from my previous version of this model earlier this year, reading a book and watching some videos. That was my focus. Its crazy that a light source from the back, even when turned off still has an effect on the hair. I do not understand why, so i ended up deleting it. And there seems to be no way of using light linking with hair. The other crazy thing is that a light source from the back creates specular highlights on the other side of the body when using a SSS shader (the lips inner part, but it shows up as a brigh spec when I do a render from the front...once I deleted that light, or turned off specularity from the light, it went away).

# 27 08-11-2007 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
I changed the eyes based on the comments above and played some with the spec intensity, reflection, and presentation overall...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 08-11-2007 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber
cool, here are a few things that I think could help you out with the eyes other than what I've already mentioned.

Since you've got such nice SSS going on on the face, try it out on the eyes. the eyes right now are too uniformly a kind of blue-grey. While this can be effective for part of the eye, if you do it on the whole eye it'll appear disconnected. Eyes are also made of translucent material, so it will bring out inner details like layers of veins and diffuse light more than just a straight blinn. To aid in the specular qualities, I'd suggest finding a map to use as your environment. Take a close look at your reference images and you'll see what I mean. I'd focus on perfecting the eyes for a while now. I think believable eyes will kick your piece into a whole new realm of greatness. user added image

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 08-11-2007 at 11:18 AM.
# 29 08-11-2007 , 07:32 PM
hey minstrel - this is definitely coming along.

definitely agree with funky bunnies concerning the eyes - how did you make them? do you have a seperate transparent sphere for the lens, as i think that that will really help giving them a realistic highlight.

i also think that it might help showing her against something other than a black background - maybe if you changed the camera's background color to a light grey - i think that that would help us get a fresh look at it.

# 30 09-11-2007 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
Did a few tests using FG with an HDR image. I also used an occlusion pass.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 10-11-2007 at 07:23 AM.