Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 25-08-2003 , 05:28 AM
Okay, I tried something else... No light from the outside BUT, I did add another sconce over the desk and it kinda brings things out a bit more. It's still not perfect but it is a little brighter. I don't think I want to reveal everything in the room and if I wanted to, let's say, add an eye spotlight to my main character at some point, a la the "Batman" movies or for Morticia in the "Addams Family" movies, I could do that too. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions that might make the scene a little more intriguing? I'd like everyone's honest comments, as I'm sure no one here has a problem doing. user added image Here's my latest render. What do you think?! :saywhat: Thanks in advance, everybody!

Russell

Attached Thumbnails

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 17 25-08-2003 , 05:53 AM
Wait, wait... I got another... and guess what... one word - AREA LIGHT!!! user added image Guess where it's coming from... THE CEILING!!! And guess where I got the idea... BOUNCED LIGHTS!!! Sweet asparagus tips! I think I've got it! Now, I need to render the other side to see if it's going to be affected... But first, I need to sleep. I have to go to work tomorrow and it's late. Thanks for the help, guys! :bow: This movie's gonna rock! user added image :headbang:

Russell

Attached Thumbnails

Russell Bolding
# 18 25-08-2003 , 02:32 PM
NICE JOB M8!!!!

Love the floor reflections and highlightsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 19 25-08-2003 , 04:24 PM
only thing with area lights is that they can take a while to render... user added image is it casting shadows?

The render looks pretty cool though user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 20 26-08-2003 , 03:41 AM
You guys are just too good to me. LOL! I've added another area light to the other side of my room and rendered it but I haven't saved it yet. I'll get that out ot you guys this week. I have noticed something, PM, that you brought up earlier that concerns me. I'm getting shadows from my area lights and I not sure how to cancel out the shadows for area lights. I've unselected depth map shadows on the area lights I have and that's the only place I've seen where you can select/deselect shadows. Plus, another problem I have is I have a couple of lamps on end tables and the light coming from the bottom and it's putting a nice BRIGHT spot on the end table. Any idea what might be causing this? Otherwise, I'm very proud of these latest breakthroughs. I've been rendering around the room and seeing how these area lights are interacting with the rest of the room and it still looks good, in my opinion. Thanks again, everybody, for your help. As soon as I get a scanner, I'll be able to scan in all of the pix I need so I can get my posters fixed up and so I can start learning how i model my characters and so I can start learning how to rig those characters. Oh boy oh boy! I'm so excited! :bgreen:

Russell

P.S. Please excuse typos... it's late and I'm tired! LOL! Been a long month! user added image

Russell Bolding