Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 23-08-2004 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
Yes is some of the ref I'm using and the wire. Note up on side of ribs and hips is different from the rendered post as I have added some geo since then and haven't tweeked.

Especially in the side view you can see I'm staying just a hair smaller than the reference even.

When it comes to questions of is she average enough. I think latter would be more the time to work that out in the mesh.

Attached Images

Last edited by Pony; 23-08-2004 at 10:30 PM.
# 17 23-08-2004 , 08:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
The bulge on the belly in the side view seems a little too prominent. Needs to blend more, I'd think.

# 18 23-08-2004 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Hay Mike, yeah it probably could use a little. as it tightened up there after some edits from the other picture posted. That and I might have had it to un-smooth there in the first place.

Although the little blue censer thing kind of distorts that there is a pretty good curve in there.

Changed lines in first post to make it more clear what I'm up to.
Like:

Looking for good definition on a human. Ei. skin irregularities, curves, folds. But all C+C welcome.

Using a average in-between type body. Not very skinny, nor close to being termed over weight.

Last edited by Pony; 23-08-2004 at 10:29 PM.
# 19 24-08-2004 , 08:20 PM
One question Pony (btw thx for poly count options, got so mutch to learn user added image) why didn`t you find referenc pictures of some yunger girl (20 - 30 years)??? Nice work aldou

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 20 24-08-2004 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber
Ankalagon, Really I think she is about 25. Wandering what it is about this picture that makes you think she's older ?

Although I will probably be using more than this for model ref to work more towards generic.

Last edited by Pony; 25-08-2004 at 05:04 AM.
# 21 25-08-2004 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber
More work done all over.

Mike, relaxed the tummy a bit.

Changed the color and attributes just a little on the shader.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Pony; 25-08-2004 at 05:06 AM.
# 22 25-08-2004 , 06:25 AM
Maybe its low quality of picture that make think she is older!! Dono but you are rely greate modeler and i don`t have C&C for this model of yours, its yust greate!!!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 23 25-08-2004 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
the legs seem like they are overlapping each other.
they are so close that they form a straight line in the middle. there are no curvatures or space btween them at all until the knee area. you need to adress that.
and rigging might me harder then it should be when the legs are so close to each other. the left thigh bone will definately influence the right leg.....

although you are following a reference, it does not mean it has to be modeled pixel for pixel. she is obviously not standing in a natural stance by looking at her legs in your ref pic.
keep up the good work Pony :smoker: :tup:

# 24 25-08-2004 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
Vlad, LOL. Yes well even better reference photo's, the stance is not natural, and thanks for the good work.

Don't worry before rigging her legs are a simple matter of some vert selection and translation.

Pixel buy Pixel maybe not.. Not all Pixels are created equal some are more important. The volume of the leg is very important for many things later on also, so its best to get it right.

For my goals at this stage I think getting some parts of the reference nailed down good is best before I go and start changing things. Leg position is a small annoyance.

Besides there is no one pose to rule them all. LOL the feet next to each other or a couple of inches apart is good to get the hips right and makes it easier to properly tell where the hip joint really is, but makes it impossible to get the mesh just right on the inside of the legs. The alternative would be to move the legs out to shoulder width, but again you then have the problem of poor hip joint placement for that model.

Same thing happens with the arms. Modeled down closer to the side, its easier to have them look natural in there neutral state, but its hard to get the arm pit right. Joint placement is good here. But with the arms raised it makes it easier to rig and get the details under the arm straight, but harder to get the joint placed in a neutral position with some accuracy.

The best solution would be to have a reference with the subject in both positions mentioned. It's rarely the case that you find them like that and can still like most of the qualities of the body.

Last edited by Pony; 31-08-2004 at 11:35 AM.
# 25 27-08-2004 , 04:03 PM
Subscriber
The hands, arm's, and feet are still just blocked out. Not totally happy with the breast. But here's a good update point.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Pony; 31-08-2004 at 11:36 AM.
# 26 30-08-2004 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
The detail is very subtle, but it is there. But I think it fits for her softer body.

Attached Images

Last edited by Pony; 30-08-2004 at 01:11 PM.
# 27 31-08-2004 , 07:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Pony

I like this, its looking good. I am however a bit disturbed by how dense it is as a sub-d. The guys at work and myself are religious Sub D modelers and tend to use very lo res meshes but for the tweaks and dimples etc we resort to using the upper level of SDs ie; level 1-3 but only cut in extra detail if we cant achieve what we need (but thats on rare ocasions) after that its poly all the way to the render!!

Also its gonna be a ball ache trying to map unless you go back to poly, but even then it looks like its gonna be pretty dense. You may find that the sub D will break in the uv mapping so may be back and forth poly to sd. Just my ten pence worth anyhow!! Keep it up.

_J

# 28 31-08-2004 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
i'm amazed i havent seen this thread before dude. well done mate she's fantastic, great colour... user added image

MURPH
# 29 31-08-2004 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
Thats really good!!! I like the feet pic user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 30 01-09-2004 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
Jango, oh. LOL I know what your talking about now. Didn't realize. The picture of the mesh that you do see up there is off of a low poly to subD, with the subD hierarchy collapsed so its all quad's. I then lower the tensilation down to 3 or 2 to compensate for the extra geo that was added. I have been keeping the low poly mesh all the way and work in that. Its around 2050 faces with head.
Good point about the UV's. user added image I got that covered, their already mapped. I mapped them up with UV's when I had the rough cage to start detailing on. Now I just have to tweek the edits. I find this much simpler to do than trying to get good coverage around, say the hips, after the detail is in there.
I'm going back to all poly anyway. No problem with the speed here but for the rest of the things that are going to be added to the pipeline there going to work better with poly. subD will be reserved for just before render to keep deformation creases none existant. Thats the plan so far at least.

murph, Glad you found it. Thanks very much.

RubberChicken, LOL love the nick, and thanks for the feet I'm rather happy with them now.