Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-12-2004 , 02:17 AM

NURBS to POLYGONS

Hello Everybody,

I just finished the "Cartoon Dog" tutorial wich I found very usefull and clear. Nevertheless, I spent too much time fixing problems when converting NURBS to POLYGONS.

My question is:

is it really necessary to convert NURBS to POLYS? What are the advantages of doing so?

Thank you

Eduardo

# 2 15-12-2004 , 04:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
It's just one method of doing things that Kurt likes. user added image I personally start and stick with polygons throughout. It's all up to your personal preference.

# 3 15-12-2004 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
When you convert to polys and then later on to sub-d's, you can have the dog as one mesh instead of a lot of separate cylinders and other primitives.

You can also stitch nurbs surfaces together I think, but Sub-d's are smoothed like nurbs, and you can add lots of detail and still have a somewhat low poly mesh, by using the sub-d's sublevels...

# 4 16-12-2004 , 02:15 AM
Well, thank you very much!