Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-09-2011 , 06:24 PM

Issue with extracted polygon

Hey guys,

i'm new, and i have a question, maybe someone could answer me, please.

i'm working on a polygon hand model,

so i extruded one finger from the base (hand-palm) then extracted it to duplicate it for the other fingers.

The issue i'm having, is that the extracted polygon (the finger) when rotating it, is deformed, like being scaled. Then i rotated the hand, same thing??.

It's a very low-poly hand I'm modeling, because the character I'm working on will be seen from some distance, Ive been modeling for some time now in Maya, and had this issue once i think with another model, and it seems like it happens on 3D Max too, but i'd like to understand why i'm having this, and how to solve it, and i couldn't find any reference for this on the internet, is it common?

I've tried to delete the history and duplicate it again, also tried to import it to another scene or freezed the transformations, i had the same "scaled-deformed" model when rotating.

what could be the problem?

can anyone help me with that, user added image

thanx in advance. user added image

papers
# 2 20-09-2011 , 07:02 PM
Okay in maya since as far back as I can recall when you extract geometry it puts that extracted geometry into a group. If that object prior to extraction had transform history then the group will.

So after extracting the geometry, ungroup it and then delete history on the ungrouped geometry. The double translation errors should go away once you have individual ungrouped geo with no history attached.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 20-09-2011 , 08:38 PM
Indeed and you can do this in the outliner itself. Ungroup mesh from the transform node group and then delete the history as ctbram says.

# 4 20-09-2011 , 08:57 PM
Thx guys for the quick replies,

will try it right away user added image

papers
# 5 20-09-2011 , 09:10 PM
It worked! thx again guys! that was really helpful

papers