Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-09-2004 , 04:32 AM

planning on makeing a highly detailed object in maya plz hlp

ok im planning on makeing a fully detailed stargate in maya and there is a few things i need to know for one how do i make a squared off ring(i made a torus witch started out lookin like a donut stretched it out to the size and everything but the inside and outside of it are still rounded) also i need to know how to add specific detail to an object(like letters for instance) and make them come off the object a bit. its kinda hard to explain but if im able to add a pic here you will see what i mean user added image user added image

# 2 06-09-2004 , 04:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
You could probably use a cylinder for the gate with a hole extruded into the center.

# 3 07-09-2004 , 11:02 PM
yeah, what he said.

Then use bump and color maps to add the detail you want.

# 4 07-09-2004 , 11:09 PM
One way would be to draw the basic cross-section of the Stargate parts which go all the way around and lathe it, then use that as a base upon which to add the other parts (the chevrons, the "egg-and-dart" panels between the chevrons, the glyph ring, the panels on the back side, and so forth).

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here is my best guess at the cross-section. The line connecting the two parts is the "back" side of the gate, over which the back panels lie.

(I'm assuming Maya has a lathe function; my apologies if it doesn't and this advice is totally useless. I found this thread by following my Web site's referrer logs.)

# 5 07-09-2004 , 11:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, we have lathe. "Revolve" in Maya's case, I believe.

# 6 08-09-2004 , 01:21 PM
Good Stuff ! Stargate looks great.

If it's a polygonal looking tunnel you need. Try creating one panel (wall) in position with stargate at origin. Center its pivot point & duplicate it selecting the # of panels you'll need with a revolve (trial & error to get the fit most likely). You'll get a hexagon shape type tunnel or as many sides as you need. If your not at the origin of its opening you can animate this duplication to occure anywhere. Hope this is what you meant Bob

# 7 09-09-2004 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
ACTUALLY lol i think a real good way to do it is make a circle curve and make a square. then extrude along path. so all u have to do is just scale it in

# 8 09-09-2004 , 01:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
Lots of ways to do it, obviously user added image.

# 9 09-09-2004 , 01:44 PM
About the letters :

two ways to do it .. if you are going to get really close to the letters, then model them.

if your gonna watch the gate from distance then you can use bumpmaps or displacement maps..

but it all depends on the scenery..

about the gate itself:

I would draw a crosssection of the gate and use revolve.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S