Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-08-2002 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber

Performance issues on 2 GHZ!!!

i have a p4 2gig(512k cache) the new one ... the northwood get it..?.. i run it on a intel 850emv2 mother moard with 256mb rdram.... and an ati all in wonder 32 mb 4x graphics board and lot of highend components .. when i add an image planes on all views and when i switch to single perspective the navigation inthe world (maya evironment) seems to move slow.... i am a geek my self but i cant seem to figure ou the problem

# 2 13-08-2002 , 02:14 PM

If you're running Windows XP there is no 3D accelleration for the ATI all-in-wonder 32meg card due to the lack of correct drivers. Least that's what I found with mine.

# 3 13-08-2002 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
You could try skipping the image plane and use a nurbs plane, you can assign your images to that. The only slow down i have when working with image planes is when i reduce the opacity and it's only slight.

# 4 14-08-2002 , 09:20 AM
SM Alumni
^^ what mrmacca says. image plane are a pain in the ass and get slow on a lot of systems... I've always used nurbs planes aswell with no hassles.

# 5 16-08-2002 , 05:58 AM
Saiyan Says: take the 32MB ATI and smash it with a hammer....considering the system you have......it should at least have a Geforce4 ti4400 in it.....user added image user added image

Even a 64MB card would see some improvements....and maybe add another 256MB RAM

# 6 16-08-2002 , 09:28 PM
SM Alumni
lol.. I was going to say somthing along those lines too but thought it would be a tad mean. that new ATI r300 sure looks nice though.. read something about it haveing a plugin for maya which lets the r300 take care of rendering instead of your cpu.. would love to give it a try though I'm guessing the new nvidia nv30 is gonna blow it out the water anyway. bah pchardware gives me headaches sometimes
user added image

# 7 17-08-2002 , 03:10 AM
I think I meant to say it in a different way....but I was really tired trying to learn Visual C++ atm.....any help would be appreciated user added image

Seriously though......all those system specs and a low end video card......just not right.....just asking for a bottle neck is alluser added image

# 8 17-08-2002 , 03:19 AM
SM Tea Boy
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Dave says learning C is a silly thing to do get moding ur forum\n";
}

PM me i have some VTM's laying about you might like

David user added image

(LOOP (FORMAT T "~%Dave also says learning Lisp is even sillier."))

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 08-09-2002 , 03:24 AM
Subscriber

Try this little-known trick

Ok. I heard on some cards you should create a new view...for example a persp2 and then try it again....it worked on some of the students at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects last year.