Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-05-2013 , 10:21 AM

maya 2014 same problem...

Seriously guys!

Am the only god damn person in the entire world with this problem where the user interface stops updating the outliner and channel box go blank and you cannot exit maya but you can save and kill the process!!!!

****ING SERIOUSLY!!!!

I just got my new update to maya 2014 and it has the same problem I have been having from maya 2010 on. I have two systems side by side and both have had this same problem since maya 2010 and the GOD DAMN QT API.

I don't know what to do now. I mean this is now years I have suffered with this god damn problem and I am just enraged! I use modo, max, inventor, and solid works and many other graphics intensive apps but only Maya has this ****ing refresh bug and it's really pissing the shit out of me!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 2 13-05-2013 , 10:29 AM
It has to be something that is running in the background and common to both my systems.

The problem is that I cannot predict when it will freeze up. In fact I thought 2014 had fixed the problem when I worked for nearly an entire day with no hangs.

Then today I try to continue my work and every god damn 10 minutes hang, save, kill the process, repair the prefs, 10 minutes hang, save, kill the process, repair the prefs, relaunch....

It's ****ing maddening! If I had a god damn baseball bat my systems would be a ****ing pile of crumpled aluminium.

I have not been able to do anything productive in Maya for over two god damn years now! I certainly cannot record video of anything. It's impossible to think when every 10 minutes you have to stop everything, fix the prefs, and start over and try to pick up where you left off!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.
# 3 13-05-2013 , 10:59 AM

Frustrating ....

during the past 2 years have you re-installed ur OS in any of them?
if u havent, then i guess something is wrong with the ur OS (or maya's) processes/services ... if u have, then it must be one of the software u have installed beck then and now,
its best if u do a fresh install of ur OS and install maya as one of the first softwares (if u hadnt tried it allreasy ... might be conflict with another software)
i don think its a hardware/driver issue as ur experiencing this in 2 different systems ...
it might be a VGA driver issue too (if both ur systems has the same VGA)

# 4 13-05-2013 , 11:05 AM
At this point I believe it to be some conflict with another application or process, but I do not have the time right now to wipe my entire system just to get maya working. So I am basically back to not being able to use maya again.

I guess I could try doing a msdiag boot with all the services not essentialto maya stopped and see what happens. But to be honest I am sick to ****ing death of this problem. No other graphics app I use has any issues. I am just sick of dealing with it.

# 5 13-05-2013 , 11:30 AM
yeah i know what u mean, installing all these softwares needs lotsa time ...
u can try a registry cleaner software too,
oh n u can try goin to MSCONFIG .. there is a "diagnostic startup" option, or u can just disable the softwares and processes u don need, and restart,

# 6 13-05-2013 , 12:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Would it be possible to create a virtual OS with nothing installed but Maya? If it still doesn't work, that wouldn't necessarily rule out something on your computer, but at least you wouldn't have to do a fresh install of everything.

# 7 13-05-2013 , 03:08 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
I feel for you Rick. I upgraded to maya 2013 and all of a sudden Maya just stops saving my files or It will not let me add textures into a new material unless I restart the program. I am seriously considering moving to 3ds max beause I havent heard them suffering from the same problems as Maya, especially GPU problems

# 8 13-05-2013 , 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Rick, are both systems using the same anti virus/firewall, are there specific rules set? Shot in the dark but it could be that.
-----

Raphael, what do mean it won't let you add textures? o.O Like nothing happens when you hit the map channel checker box?

You guys are having some freaky problems man.

- Genny
# 9 13-05-2013 , 08:00 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

Raphael, what do mean it won't let you add textures? o.O Like nothing happens when you hit the map channel checker box?

You guys are having some freaky problems man.

This is what I'm talking about.........check out the error when i try to change the texture

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-05-2013 , 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
About the file saving issue. It could be that you have "unknown" nodes in the scene from plugins that aren't available in your Maya 2013 setup. The "optimize scene size options" gives you the option to remove them.

The "unknown workspace" error seems to be a project path issue. Nothing moved since you've worked with that scene? All drives are accessible?

- Genny
# 11 13-05-2013 , 08:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Do you have a workspace.mel file setup? You probably need to set your project.

# 12 13-05-2013 , 10:22 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Everything is setup correctly. I get the error only in maya 2013. every project of mine runs on the same networked drive so as to avoid texture location errors. when I start new work the first thing I do is to set the project. the same scene running in 2011 works perfectly so what gives ??

# 13 14-05-2013 , 07:57 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey Rick A colleague recommended you create a virtual OS and install maya just as stwert said from there it will be easier to isolate your problems.

# 14 14-05-2013 , 09:36 AM
yeah I am considering that but I have a SSD and space is limited so creating a vm using virtual box is problematic. But I agree that would be something for me to work on when I have the time.

Thanks

# 15 14-05-2013 , 11:47 AM
Technical Director
Dear god, do not use VirtualBox for anything 3d related! 3d support is almost non-existant. Not to mention, if you're already using Windows 7, you already have a virtual machine for XP.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 14-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.