Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-05-2004 , 01:00 PM
The Maya Mountain

May 2004 Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

user added imageirate:

Yar! Ahoy, Matey! I see ye be-a lookin' fer this 'ere Simply Maya challenge. Well ye came to the right place! Now listen up, landlubbers 'afore we make ye walk the plank and lose ye to the briny deep!

Me First Mate, David, is-a gettin' the Challenge site a-cobbled t'gether fer yer usage come next time, so in order to accomodate 'em, this 'ere challenge will be a mere single month. Tha's right! This 'ere be the

MAY 2004 PIRATE CHALLENGE!

'Ere be the rules and guidelines. Mess these up and, bless me parrot, the tip of me blade will be the final thing ye see 'afore ye pass into the great 'ereafter! Yar! user added imageirate:

1) Create a Pirate! It can be whatever theme you like. Traditional Captain Hook all the way to Post-Apocolyptic Cyber Pirate and beyond!

2) Show concepts! Show Works In Progress! Show Wire Frames!

3) Texturing, rigging, posing, animation, etc is NOT required. However, the more you're able to do, the better! If you'd like, your final could be a completely grey-scale model.

4) Feel free to do low poly game models! No special consideration is given to game art submissions, but I'm always interested in seeing that kind of thing. user added image If you do low poly, let us know your triangle counts and texture resolutions!

5) BONUS! For this challenge's extra bonus (not required) task, create your pirate's sidekick! A parrot, a chimp, a robot, whatever!

6) Label your thread thusly:

May - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A VIP point winner will be chosen from both classes.

It's up to YOU to determine what class you want to compete on. However, if someone's performance is obviously, blatantly, opposite of his chosen class, he may be asked to reverse it. This usually only happens with Noobie class entries that we feel can compete with the Normals.

7) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win and do not count toward the Grand Prize consideration of 5 entries mentioned below. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

8) Toward the end of the month, Final Entry threads will be made for those who wish for their entries to be considered in competition.

The due date of the challenge is the end of May 31st!

user added imageirate:

Yar! Thank ye, Mike!
Be sure to mosey yerself on to https://SimplyLightwave.com and https://www.SimplyMax.com to see what yer co-competitors be up to! All three sites are competing t'gether!

An' if'n I be seein' at least FIVE (5) FINAL Normal entries fer this 'ere Challenge [from SM, SL, and SMax combined - Mike] , aye'd be obligated to be a-handin' out a prize to a chosen Grand Prize winnah!

Now off with ye, 'afore I strike ye down!

Yar! user added imageirate:

# 2 01-05-2004 , 06:16 PM
Nice Topic user added image

# 3 01-05-2004 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
lol, that was funny to read. I might get into it, althouth I'm short on time. it would be interesting, that's for sure, hehe.

# 4 01-05-2004 , 07:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Great theme Mike ..haven't decided if I will try this yet user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 01-05-2004 , 07:45 PM
Awesome, I'm in user added image, my summer break officially started today, so I should have enough time (even though I am taking some summer classes). The challenge ends on my birthday, what do you know... :p

Also, I wish I could speak pirate as well as Mike can user added image

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 6 01-05-2004 , 08:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
Avast! user added imageirate: user added image

Cool! Looking forward to it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here.

# 7 01-05-2004 , 09:52 PM
Lifetime Member
My swash is totally buckled! (whatever that means)

This will be my first attempt at an SM Challenge and I hope I don't make a complete fool of myself in the process.

Bless all of your barnacles and may the best man/woman win.

Mark user added imageirate:

# 8 01-05-2004 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber
Timber me Shivers!! Pilates!!! I'm pooping my scrub deck even as I type. Could we be seeing such fine characters as Seamen Stains, Master Bates or Roger the Cabin boy?

Land ho!! I feel a model about to weigh anchor!!!

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 9 02-05-2004 , 02:17 AM
I thinks I feel a change in the wind says I. I'm in, savvy? user added image

# 10 02-05-2004 , 01:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
PRIZE INFO!

The Grand Prize winner will have a selection of books to choose from, in addition to a free copy of Simply Maya's new DVD!

Obviously, since we're dealing with more than just Maya, if the Grand Prize winner does not want the SM DVD, he can waive it and decide to get a free copy of the FIRST DVD that is released for his chosen application.

As usual, the Grand Prize Winner is chosen from the Normal entries only. We need at least 5 Final Normal entries among the 3 sites to award a Grand Prize winner.

The Normal and Noobie winners will recieve VIP points!

Feel free to change your class if you'd like to compete for the Grand Prize!

Yar! user added imageirate:

# 11 11-05-2004 , 02:26 PM
Hmmmmm Think I might try this one.....depends on how much homework I have....LMAO..(thinking I never thought I would be saying that again...)

...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I.

https://sky.prohosting.com/spyd01/
# 12 31-05-2004 , 01:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
Let's get those entries in!

# 13 31-05-2004 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Well theres less than 6hours to go and i've just finished UV'ing...hmmm will he make it?

www.snipersupplies.co.uk