Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-09-2005 , 09:42 PM
The Maya Mountain

Sept/Oct Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Sept/Oct Challenge!

Video Game Character!

For this challenge, choose a video game character from the early days of games (SNES, NES, Genesis, etc...) and redesign a modern version of them! It doesn't matter if your chosen character has been in a 3D game before!

1) Try to show a screenshot from the game you have chosen! Show concepts! Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Modeling AND texturing is required.

2) Your entry DOES NOT have to be a low-poly model, however, if you'd like to, your polycount could be, for example, approx. 3000 triangle polys, with your textures allowed to be up to 2 512x512s.

3) Label your thread thusly:

Sept/Oct - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

4) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

5) Applicable 3D programs are: Lightwave, Maya, 3DS Max, and Zbrush (zbrush is allowed for the creation of displacement/normal maps and the like). Until we get a unified challenge forum, please post in the applicable Simply site.

6) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

7) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself.

8) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

9) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am Nov. 1st, USA Central time. Get it in before to make sure!

-------

BIG PRIZES!

Normal Entry Grand Prize -

GeForce 7800 GTX video card!
https://www.laptops4me.com/images/pict/EV-7800GTG_LG.gif

Newbie Entry Grand Prize -

Two Simply DVDs of their choosing!

# 2 04-09-2005 , 09:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
The final votes for last challenge are still coming in. We'll have the results asap!

# 3 04-09-2005 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
So, they have to be from orignal sprites? Things that were never 3 dimensionilized(?)?

Last edited by alienscience; 04-09-2005 at 10:17 PM.
# 4 04-09-2005 , 11:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
right, old games that have never been "modern-ized".

Or, if they *have* been modernized, the modern version is different enough from the original so that your entry isn't too close to the modern version.

# 5 04-09-2005 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber
Ok, htx for the help. I guess Ill have to go back in time to dig something up.

# 6 05-09-2005 , 12:03 PM
19 year Veteran
Your entry DOES NOT have to be a video game model

So one can make their own custom game model apart from the G1 game characters, or am I not understanding that statement ?

however, if you'd like to, your polycount would be approx. 3000 triangle polys

Is that the max poly count for any model submitted here for this challenge, or is that for any "custom" game model?

# 7 05-09-2005 , 12:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
your entry can be as high-resolution as you want it to be. If you wanted to make a game model, though, I'd ask that you stick to the given tri count and textures.

I edited the rule, hopefully for clarity.

# 8 05-09-2005 , 01:00 PM
19 year Veteran
Thanks for clearing that up.user added image

# 9 05-09-2005 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
Cool, but now I have a question. Its not about your rules, just normal stupidity I guess. Can anyone recall a elevtor action 3d remake. I cant, but didnt want to start a useless thread.

# 10 05-09-2005 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
dont think so, just the original and then the sequel.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 11 05-09-2005 , 02:16 PM
Just gone through a fair few games I used to play on the Commodore64 and some were remade and then cancelled.

Might the rules be modified to disallow using such games as you can quite easily find 3D screenshots of them and that might be advantageous to people.
Just a thought before people dive in and then get confused as to whether they can do that game or not user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 12 05-09-2005 , 02:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
Pretty much, if you can find it in 3D, probably don't do it.

Also, don't forget, this challenge is to take an old game icon and put your own spin on it. Not to copy the look of the old icon directly.

# 13 05-09-2005 , 04:59 PM
i was trying to think of a game to do... and i was wondering if i adopted a new adaptation of a space invaders scene would that be allowed?

# 14 05-09-2005 , 09:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds cool to me. I dont know of any specific modern space invaders game.

# 15 05-09-2005 , 10:07 PM

Atomic Robo Kid

Just wanted to make sure... I chose the atomic robo kid as my character and even though its 2d game i found some pics with 3d depth to him. Do you think its a wise choice? user added image