Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-11-2005 , 03:39 PM
The Maya Mountain

Nov/Dec Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Nov/Dec Challenge!

Realism!

For this challenge, we're going to try something new and strive for realism! Create a recognizable, present-day object (any inanimate object) and make it as real looking as possible!

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Because realism is the goal, modeling, shaders and lighting are all important to achieving the look!

2) Label your thread thusly:

Nov/Dec - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Applicable 3D programs are: Lightwave, Maya, 3DS Max, and Zbrush. Until we get a unified challenge forum, please post in the applicable Simply site.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself.

7) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am Jan. 1st, USA Central time. Get it in before to make sure!

-----

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!

*Because of difficulties shipping the previous grand prizes to certain countries, we've chosen to go for a monetary prize so that the winner can then purchase something cool for himself through his/her own local channels.

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!

-----

A couple notes:

If you choose to do something like... a cereal box, and you map your perfectly shaped cube just right... sorry, I don't think that's going to cut it. user added image Remember, you've got 2 months! Challenge yourself!

An environment is not required, but it can help with things like reflections and so on, so you might consider a simple environment as well. The object itself is the main judging point, though.

Good luck, and I hope everyone learns something!

-----

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!

# 2 04-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
19 year Veteran
Say if I wanted to do a very futuristic looking building for example, just as long as it looked real, would that be ok?

# 3 04-11-2005 , 03:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
to keep it fair, I'd have to say, no, let's limit things to present day objects. And it needs to be recognizable.

# 4 04-11-2005 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
I have a ton of toys would that be applicable here?

# 5 04-11-2005 , 07:52 PM
Would my room work?

# 6 04-11-2005 , 09:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sure, a toy could work.

Let's keep it to an object as opposed to an entire room.

# 7 04-11-2005 , 11:53 PM
mmm... ok! So i will have a bunch of objects out of focus to add to the feel. But I will keep it centered on my computer.

# 8 05-11-2005 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks mike ill get started immediatley:attn:

# 9 05-11-2005 , 07:14 AM
ideas i wait for....Sony PSP i had in mind but someone is already modeling a X-box

:headbang:

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 10 05-11-2005 , 07:19 AM
any restrictions on texturing?

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 11 05-11-2005 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
very nice Mike.

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 12 05-11-2005 , 02:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
no texturing restrictions that I can think of. Was there something in particular you had in mind?

# 13 05-11-2005 , 11:39 PM
Hi Boss!
I think my smart "lets make fairies" comment was kinda taken seriously in the last thread heh heh.
Anyway, here is the question... Does modeling a car qualify??? That is an everyday inanimate object... I can't believe I have not found a thread yet with someone doing that yet.

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 14 06-11-2005 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
hey welcome back Surfer, hopefully you get the go ahead on the car.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 15 06-11-2005 , 02:35 AM
The Maya Mountain
I suppose a car would be ok, but that is a pretty common project that people do. One thing that I'd suggest as something a bit more interesting is to do a car's ENGINE. And if you get that done in time, continue with the rest of it. user added image

But, yes, a car is ok.