Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-01-2017 , 11:52 PM
Lifetime Member

Rendering Smooth Mesh Preview Wireframes

So I have a problem that has been bugging me for ages and after searching for ages on the web I'm starting to feel like there's no simple solution.
My question is - is there a way to make mental ray just show the Smooth Mesh Preview wires? I have a pretty dense model and when I use Mental Ray Contours I get a mess of wires so it's impossible to show off, it's just too cluttered (not to mention the fact that it's actually nothing like my models wireframes anyway) I'd rather have the wires I see when I press the 3 key... is that possible?

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 2 25-01-2017 , 11:02 AM
SM Tea Boy
Not really no if you want it rendered, what i've found works really well and is much faster is to use viewport2 with anti aliasing then make the model and the background black then take a screen grab of the viewpoint then overlay that in ps on a render of the model.

If you want to do it for an animation then simply playblast the viewport. This way gives you huge flexibility.

If that did not make sense to you let me know i'll record a short video.

These wireframes where done with that technique

https://simplymaya.com/images/tutori...d_large_01.jpg

It lets people see the exact topo of the model.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 26-01-2017 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi David, that is exactly what I am wanting so I will give playblasting a shot as it's for a turn-table. I'll let you know how I go and if I run into any problems.

Cheers, the Yeti.