Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-02-2010 , 06:41 PM

nurbs square along a cv curve won't create properly

I've made a square nurbs shape that I want to extrude along a cv curve. As the nurbs square are not attached, I've selected the edges and attached them with the Edit Curves > Attach Curves (reset settings to the defaults). This creates a new shape and I attach it the curve in the correct way. When I Extrude to polygons with the correct parameters, general, polygon, quads etc it seems to work but soem of the verticies don't connect on the corners, you can see this if you press 3 to go to high res mode.
Is this a bug ? maybe i'm not connecting the square properly, if i use the same method with a circle it works fine ?

Any ideas ?

# 2 10-02-2010 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
if its just a square you are extruding along the curve, why not make a nurbs square primitive, and extrude?
Just curious

as for your question, its hard to answer that question without at the least, screen shots of the issue.
at least for me anyway, i'm not a nurbs man myself.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 10-02-2010 , 09:32 AM
ah, my bad...

when i said i made a nurbs shape i meant it was a primitive

but i think the edges still have to be attached in a certain way otherwise you don't get it extruded correctly when choosing polygons.

you can see in the image when i hit 3 then 3 edges appear smooth and the last one is hard edge because the verticies are not joined.

try it and you will see the issue i mean. + i will add a screen shot.https://www.minidavinci.co.uk/curve.jpg

Last edited by Dekulon; 10-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.
# 4 10-02-2010 , 01:35 PM
The Nurb Herd
rather than a nurbs square you could use a cirlce.

create the circle then select 4 points. one at the top 2 in the middle and one at the bottom. then rotate them so they are over the other 4 points. you should now have an attached nurbs square.

# 5 10-02-2010 , 02:27 PM
nice, works well... :attn:

is it possible to make the shape edges a little sharper, i.e. not rounded edges

# 6 10-02-2010 , 03:18 PM
The Nurb Herd
add four new points (add curve point then edit curves>insert knot) and snap them to the corners by holding 'v' (with the move tool selected) and middle mouse clicking the point you which to snap to.

# 7 10-02-2010 , 04:17 PM
that works, many thanks

# 8 28-06-2017 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber

Can't seem to extrude along a curve

Trying to creat a telephone cord, I created a CV curve and nurb circle and then went to extrude and I keep getting this problem has anyone had this and is there a fix or am I missing something?
Thanks Mark
user added image

# 9 28-06-2017 , 08:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi, the problem is expressed in the error message. You are trying to extrude a nurbs element with a polygon extrude tool. Are you not after the Surfaces -> Extrude tool?