Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-04-2005 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber

How to model a Nurbs car tyre?

Hey all

Just looking for some tips on modelling a car tyre with nurbs. Specifically the tread. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate ideas on the best approach. Comment on the use of:

displ mapping?

curv projections and trimming?

lofting techinques?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

MrR

# 2 19-04-2005 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
I think there is a butt load of tire modeling tutorials out there. I think there are mainly text, but hey, whateva. Just try a google search and see what pops up. Also I think that SM is coming out with a car modeling tutorial soon anyways.

# 3 19-04-2005 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber

# 4 19-04-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
Yeah SM's car tutorial should be up in the next couple of days it shows you how to build the tire with nurbs then texture it with a displacement map, show it also shows you how to get the best looking displacement with nurbs surfaces. I think that displacement is the best way to go around it as when you render it doesn't have to compute polys or nurbs surfaces

# 5 19-04-2005 , 12:04 PM
Hey spike, any idea on how many parts its going to be or the approx cost? Or can you not tell me that yet user added image

# 6 19-04-2005 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
Well Kevin and David might have merged or cut some parts up but it lasts for 5 minutes under 15 hours and I don't know the cost thats kev's department

Last edited by sspikedudley; 22-04-2005 at 11:26 AM.
# 7 21-04-2005 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
OK so this is what I came up with using PLE while I was sitting through windows security training at work user added image

It's entirely nurbs. Comments appreciated and welcome.

Attached Thumbnails