Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-05-2005 , 11:28 PM

creating a MEL interface

although I don't consider myself a good programmer, I understand most syntax and similar issues. But I'm trying to create an interface for a script, so that when I hit the shelf button for it, it pops up a small window with a couple of slider bars and fields.

Specifically, I'm using the interface to create Lego plates. I already have all the pieces, and I know how to program well enough to get them rotated properly and placed correctly; they're even boolean-able (one of my primary concerns in building them). But the problem is, I don't know how to build the user interface I need to streamline the process (rather than text-summoning the script).

I know how to create a do some stuff to intSliderGroups (like limit them to greater than 1, etc.), but I can't figure out how to read the data that they posses after that, so I can use it to create plates. I need to be able to assign the data in the field to a variable, but nothing I have tried so far seems to work. For this type of control, or any other.

Any ideas? I'm fresh out. Let me Know.
Thanks.

# 2 04-05-2005 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
there are some mel tutorials around for creating some UI for your scripts.. The doc's are a little skectchy but what your asking for is in there also. I seen it but haven't gotten to try it my self yet..

# 3 31-05-2005 , 09:02 PM
this script might help. I use it for driving some properties on cameras when I'm using an image plane.

Try setting up a camera with an image plane, and then running this script to see how it works. Make sure the camera is the active view when you run the script.

Attached Files
File Type: zip filmoffset.zip (2.8 KB, 234 views)
# 4 31-05-2005 , 09:35 PM
You might also want to check out my dnPolyhedron script on my tools page (www.dannyngan.com/tools.htm) to see how I use the sliders. I also have it setup to remember the previously used settings, so you don't have to start from the same values each time you open the window.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 02-06-2005 , 11:18 PM
many thanks! I think I can manage, now!