Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-08-2007 , 02:26 AM

My human body - feedback please

Hi,

(edited title to body since adding new images).

here is a head I'm working on. I think it looks fairly good, though I maybe want to to tweak the proportions - the bulge around the lips is a little too big, maybe the face is a little too narrow for its height.

The real feedback I would like concerns my edgeloops - are they well placed? Do I have too much geometry for a model of this level - should I have the same result with less? Finally, should I work to decrease the amount of polygons on less detailed areas, like the back of the head (so that my edgeloops don't go right around the head and the rear geometry is significantly reduced) or is it ok as it is?

Cheers,

gubar.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by gubar; 17-08-2007 at 04:20 PM.
# 2 11-08-2007 , 02:27 AM
Renders:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-08-2007 , 02:27 AM
render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-08-2007 , 02:48 AM
Hey man

I think that your edge loops could do with a bit of work, cleaning up the flow etc etc.

Have a look in the topology thread sticky at the top of the WIP forum, that should give you some ideas on how to go about it.

I think that with a bit of movement etc, it should come together.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 11-08-2007 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber
i agree the model is decent, however your topology needs to be alot cleaner,

some helpful tips

1) make sure the topology is evenly spaced
2) make sure the adge loops flow nice
3)it is not entirely necessary to have alot of geometry on area's that dont deform much or hardley at all e.g the top of the head
4)if the geometry looks good to the eye chances are it is "good"

# 6 11-08-2007 , 03:33 AM
Thanks for the replies so far - the topology thread is indeed very helpfull.

Jali, when you say the loops should be evenly spaced, could you elaborate a little? It's true some loops are closer to some loops than others - I done this to add definition (creating lower or higher areas, indentations and so forth). I'm not sure how I would keep the spacing even and still have that definition - though these are the kind of things I'd like to learn.

thanks,

gubar.

# 7 11-08-2007 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gubar
Thanks for the replies so far - the topology thread is indeed very helpfull.

Jali, when you say the loops should be evenly spaced, could you elaborate a little? It's true some loops are closer to some loops than others - I done this to add definition (creating lower or higher areas, indentations and so forth). I'm not sure how I would keep the spacing even and still have that definition - though these are the kind of things I'd like to learn.

thanks,

gubar.

hi

what i men is you shouldn't go from having your loops close togather to sudenly far apart, there should be a gentle transition to keep things looking good. i noticed there are areas on you model that looked like they could do woth some clean up .

here's a pic

the red line are adges i think you should delete (note after deleting edges make sure you delete the verticies tha are left behind)

the green line are edges i think you should create useing the split polygon tool,

# 8 11-08-2007 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber
sorry i forgot to post the pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 17-08-2007 , 04:24 PM
Here is an update.

Again, criticism appreciated. I think the body is a bit too boxy, though I've been trying to match the ref images. I've improved the edgeloops around the eyes, though I still need to tweak them quite a lot. Not sure about modelling eyelids - with what I've got, can I get away with texturing them, or do they need to be modelled further? And the arms, though they're getting there, still don't look quite right - upper arm to thin, or shoulder too large? Though they match in the front and side view, the 3/4 tells a different story.

thanks, gubar.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 17-08-2007 , 04:25 PM
Some more:

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 17-08-2007 , 04:27 PM
Finally, the face:

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 17-08-2007 , 05:11 PM
THe bodys lookin pretty good for a start.

For me you've still got some nasty edges on the face, near the cheak, its very pronounced on the smoothe model, you can see where the geo dosent flow correctly.

# 13 17-08-2007 , 06:08 PM
Yeah,

I'm still working on how to alter my geometry and maintain quads. The cheek area does need sorted though.

In terms of detailing his torso, should I just keep adding more geometry to the unsmoothed model, or should I consider smoothing it and then sculpting it more?

thanks,

gubar.

# 14 17-08-2007 , 06:30 PM
I would use a smooth proxy for 1 half of the model about now, since youve got the basics there.

I then would keep tweeking and adding to the low poly, using the proxy to evaluate the changes.

# 15 17-08-2007 , 06:30 PM
You should add more geometry to those areas that needs more detail, for example the eyes mouth and nose. However first you need to get those proportions more correct. And never smooth a model and then move vertices/polygons, always work with the low poly version.