Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-05-2008 , 01:24 AM

Texture baking

So, I'm doing a house (Gothenburg Museum of Art) for Google Earth, and I want to bake everything (texture, color, shadows etc) into the textures.

I'm using just Physical Sky with sun enabled and rendering with MR.

This is how it looks when doing a normal render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-05-2008 , 01:25 AM
And with these settings I do the baking:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-05-2008 , 01:28 AM
However, the model with the baked textures doesn't look like it should add all. The shadows are 100% black and it's overlit. If I do a Occlussion baking it works fine (just the occlussion). So does the "light and color" option doesn't give a crap about the physical sky, final gather settings etc.? And what's the solution? To render EVERYTHING into the textures in one go?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 19-05-2008 , 03:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
I would recommend baking things one pass at a time because that gives you the greatest flexibility to work with them in photoshop and combine them together to get good results

# 5 19-05-2008 , 04:55 AM
However if I'm satisfied with how the render look if would be freakin dandy to render bake everything in one go.

And I don't get the results expected.

Here's an "global illumination only" baking.

What's up with that? I checked the UV layout and the mesh and there's no strange geometry or normals from what I can see.

And how do I render out the shadows only?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 21-05-2008 , 03:49 PM
19 year Veteran
In your render passes attributes, turn off everything but shadows. That will render just the shadow pass.

Hope that helps out. user added image

# 7 25-05-2008 , 02:52 PM
And are you sure that the render layer settings have influence on the texture baking? Because I'm not using the regular "render" function, ya know.

# 8 25-05-2008 , 06:15 PM
19 year Veteran
It should, atleast in m experience using render passes. However I have never baked textures, but the render passes function should still work the same.