Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-07-2008 , 02:21 AM

Penguin beak glitch

This I'm sure has a simple fix, since there is a very obvious pattern to the glitch, but I don't know what it is. My intention: create the beak of a penguin so that it can open and close, and has actual modeling inside the beak. Problem: when I model it in a polygon setting it is fine, but conversion to Subdiv returns the following:

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 2 17-07-2008 , 02:22 AM
And the picture... sorry...

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 17-07-2008 , 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
It looks as if you have verts that are not welded, could have happened when you extruded faces/edges without 'keep faces together' turned on. So I'm thinking its not a glitch. You can start merging those verts or edges (your choice really) or start over :p

- Genny
# 4 17-07-2008 , 06:59 AM
That's what I thought too. I did indeed attempt vertice merging, but it didn't help. I ended up deleting that section and redoing it a different way, but it would be interesting to find out what occurred, so:

I had a beak with no openings originally. I selected the bottom faces and detached them. Then I reattached the back edges to the empty hole. I selected that ring of edges, the one at the base of the beak, and created a face in there to serve as the inside of the mouth. Then, I selected the border (if viewed from the top) around the beak, and extruded that until I had created a surface to cover the hole.... wow. There is almost no way anyone can understand what I just said, right?

Anyway, I do have a working version now.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer